Integrating Spotify Library to Traktor / Serato
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Integrating Spotify Library to Traktor / Serato

I don't know if u guys have tried Spotify.. but wow. Here in Sweden it has transformed the market, practicly every person using a computer is using it to listen. I am sure, u guys in america will pretty soon to.

I am often using it to find and store new music for my sets, incredibly quick and fast. What would be some next level shit, was if there would be some kind of bridge from spotify directly to traktor or serato. I mean, since Spotify already caches your whole library on your computer, it shouldn't be no problem. Also their team have recently released an API which makes it easy to integrate to any software (only available if u have the premium acount).

So guys, would you be willing to pay 9.99 a month for millions of songs directly available in ur set? Requests would never be a problem again. (Edit: Actually I would pay 19.99 or more to get this ability, shouldn't that counter the license issues?)

Im sure waiting for this..
    Last edited by MixiM; 02-21-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Tech Guru

That would be great...however I think one issue is you can only play one spotify track at a time. But that would still be awesome.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

As soon as you start playing these tunes in public someone will want paying.

http://blog.tunecore.com/2011/06/pub...e-anxiety.html

This discussion has been going for sometime.

http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/t...or_dj_software

I don't know that much about Spotify (just the basics), but I do know about Native Instruments and whilst I do not actually work or speak for NI i would bet my ass that they would not touch this with with a 10ft poll and I dare say the same would be true for Serato because they want to spend ALL their money and ALL their time making software (and hardware in NIs case).

They dont want to spend a single nano-second going through the legal machinations of allowing the live public performance of music (directly through their software) that is not licensed for public performance or is licensed but will lead to PRS or ASCAP chasing DJs for money.

Now... hot on my heals is someone with a "get with the times dude" post, or "the old paradigm is outdated" rant... yeah maybe... but NI want to make DJ software. If someone else comes up with this then fine but...

How would you set grids, loops cues etc unless you had the track to manipulate and save?

Hi, avid reader of DJTT, I work for Spotify (business development) and dabble as hobby DJ. I can say that many of us here at Spotify think it would be pretty cool to have 15 million or so tracks in your record bag at every gig.

LibSpotify can certainly be used for that but our developer license is for private, non-commercial use only due to our agreements with rights holders and public performance so Karlos has a point.

If any of you developers are out there and are curious, don't hesitate to get in touch!

andreas.liffgarden@spotify.com

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Thanks for the input liffgarden. This is certainly an interesting proposition. As you say Spotify is for non-commercial use.
    BMI, ASCAP, PRS and all those kinds of companies would see this as a massive money spinner even if it was a Paid service, the costs could be prohibitive for DJs.

On the face of it, it would seem like the next natural step for DJing in some respects but the cynic in me just thinks, where theres a buck to be made someone will find a way of squeezing it out of us (us being the DJs) and in the long run it may even damage what Spotify is actually about which is the free listening to music for the masses (apologies if i have got that wrong, thats just my understanding of it).

As soon as the vultures start to circle things get ugly.

Please keep us updated as to any developments

Banned

I'm just a spectator, a good forum,Hope everyone has had good luck, happy every day

Tech Wizard

liffgarden and Karlos, Good points. The way i would spin this from the spotify perspective, is that spotify would be used for bedroom DJ's, and market to them. And Karlos, it wouldn't be NI's headache, as it is not them controlling the licensing, it would be in the hands of spottily, because they are in contact with the record labels and licensing agreements.

Maybe Spotify should propose a "Spotify Professional Account" that enables software to cache two songs at a time and include licensing to play for an audience for 19.99... I would surely pay it. But heheh, yeah i can already see the record companies frown at this.

Im not a professional DJ... For the last 2 months my VCI-100 at home has been sitting and dusting just because of the fact that my entire library of new music is in Spotify. And have no energy of finding/purchasing the songs in MP3 formats just for my bedroom and family parties.

Someone, will make this, but i just want Spotify to be a part of this first, since IMHO it's by far the best, and most mature streaming service out there today. And Karlos,if u have multiple devices u should give spotify premium a try... I'm not even working there but boy has it make my life easier..

We think Spotify is a lot of things but most importantly - we are a platform for all things music. This mean that we have a free tier that helps you get started with a legal & licensed alternative. If you like it enough, then you can pay either 5 or 10 Euros. If you are a developer you can use LibSpotify or our HTTP API:s to build playlist sharing sites or integrate Spotify into any type of Hardware or Software. Yes, there are limitations (as Karlos rightfully pointed out) but discussions like this is the kind of dialog we use to see where we will go next. Over time in digital, technology and creativity usually wins over older distribution paradigms.

So keep ideas coming, we are trolling here

also ni won´t be doing something like this since spotify isn´t available in germany...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast