does VESTAX TYPHOON have a BAD quality soundard??
    Tech Convert

Default does VESTAX TYPHOON have a BAD quality soundard??

Hi i have had a vestax typhoon for a while now used with traktor pro 2 and DJ'd a few clubs and such with it when they have no midi capable cdjs availible and i was wondering if anyone else has problems with the sound output/soundcard? such as the sound output has been so low - the volume is less than my IPOD on speakers?? even if i have all the output and everything on FULL!? another thing is that even if i have it running through another mixer the sound output will jump - a song will start off quiet so ill turn up the output or gain or something and it will jump to really loud all of a sudden?

does anyone have any solutions to this or is the vestax typhoon just not good enough to use on any big soundsystem??

I cant say much for the soundcard as iv never used it but its an entry level controller, so isnt really aimed for club use. that being said, the sound should at least be consistent.

I've always had huge jumps with the gain on the typhoon, but i think thats just how its mapped to traktor. Personally, i've had no issues with the soundcard....

Did it used to work better than it does now?
    I find that the output is louder than that of my laptop soundcard on the same set of speakers (rga to 3.5mm plug - small desktop speakers)
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

I'd bet the sound card is fine and you're doing it wrong, but without a lot more information, I can't really tell you. It could be defective/broken…or just crap…but I wouldn't bet on it yet.

Which gain/output are you talking about?
    What does your output meter in Traktor look like?
    What mixer are you running it into?
    What does its meters look like?
    Where are its gains set?
    How is the sound card set up in your OS?

etc.

There's a very good chance that the sound card in the Typhoon is based on one of a handfull of DACs that everything else uses as well and that they probably got the analog side of the sound card at least close to right.

I think it's infinitely more likely that you're doing something wrong somewhere along the line, mostly because you talk about turning Traktor's output up…which is almost always the wrong solution to the output being too quiet. It sounds to me like you're trying to amplify a clipped signal and instead of turning it up, you're just increasing the compression that comes either from an input stage being overdriven or from Traktor's internal limiter…both of which can make it sound quieter and make the volume jumpy if you're doing it bad enough.

Answer those questions above, and I'll get back to you, but basically…no meter should ever touch the red at any point…and if Traktor, your mixer's channel, and your mixer's output are all peaking right around (or below) 0dB and it's still quiet…turn up the amp(s), because everything else is as loud as it can be without causing problems.

And it's really easy to make Traktor clip the sound card's output…I think the loudest I've ever set mine is -1dB with the internal mixer configured for 9dB of headroom.

Tech Convert

Hi thanks um it usually jumps if i raise any of the EQs or the gains, they'l usually just be in the middle and then ill move them up a tiny bit and the whole song volume will jump, like it started quieter than it should have and it suddenly jumps to normal loudness when i move something? but no i dont have the output levels in the red i was just saying even when i turn them all up - my ipod is still louder?

umm ive used a few mixers but the one i had the most problemes with was the djm 600.

The Djm 600 meters look really low and the output and gain levels on the controller change but most of the time theyr just below red.

The gains are set in the middle but sometimes if its getting quite ill put them up a little bit.

Im not sure how it's set up in traktor or windows7 or whatever it will just be on whatever defult settings it came with?

thank you!

Weird. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything terribly wrong, which means that it might be harder to fix.

Does it start out quiet and then jump or does it randomly get quiet in the middle of a set?

If it starts out quiet, does it make any difference if you twiddle every knob on the controller before you start playing?

Do you have Traktor set to reset all the mixer controls when you load a new track? If you do, when do you return the gain and EQ knobs back to their middle position and are they set to start sending data immediately or for soft takeover?

If none of that helps, can you set the Typhoon's sound card to be the default for your computer? If so, does it still play quiet when it's playing off iTunes or WMP or something instead of Traktor?

What does the Traktor Mixer appear to be doing when it jumps?

Tech Convert

Used a Vestax Spin (same hardware as Typhoon) once in a club - no problems with eq or gain - they are all software and mapped to traktor. Check if your Typhoon works fine as a normal soundcard in Windows and set the volume level there. After that try using it with traktor. Reinstall drivers, etc.