Questions for the DB4 owners or users.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Questions for the DB4 owners or users.

Hopefully this is not the wrong section to post this question.

I am taking a serious look at this mixer and had a few questions for anyone that has spent a good amount of time with the mixer and it's features.

I am hoping to use it for DJing as well as integrating it into my home studio so here we go...

1. How is the quality of the soundcard? I have read a few reviews on the mixer and although the overall sound quality of the mixer is ranked high not much is stated about the soundcard. Right now I am using an RME Multiface I and am hoping I can sell it to offset the cost of the DB4.

2. When recording in a DAW program, can the mixer be routed so you can play back your recorded material in one channel, play the signal you want to record in another channel but record without getting the previously recorded material. Maybe route the original recording material to output to the booth section and have the new material set to the master. I then could route both outputs to my Mackie Big Knob to hear them combined.

3. I have a lot of vinyl I want to start archiving to replace digital copies I have been using. Would the DB4 be a high quality converter into my DAW?

4. Has anyone tried it with Scratchlive? Is there a quality drop incorporating one of their boxes like the SL-3 or SL-4?

5. Taking the effects out of the equation, how would the mixer compare to the DJM-900 as far as sound quality? A friend of mine said the sound quality is equal but he is a diehard Pio fan.

6. Taking the effects out of the equation, , how would the mixer compare to the Rane Sixty Eight as far as sound quality?

7. Will the mixer fit in a standard 12inch mixer roadcase? Most of them accomodate up to 12.5inchesI have a bunch of cases already and really don't want to have to spring for another one.

8. Thoughts on the durability of the mixer and components? Skratchworx spoke highly of the mixer but was iffy on the line faders. How do the effects buttons feel? The chrome look screams cheap to me but again it is just a design choice they made.

9. Is the crossfader user replaceable? Can you install an aftermarket crossfader in it?

Thanks for the help and sorry if any of this has been asked before.

Tech Convert

kevz718,

Thank you so much for taking time to respond to my questions.

The faders are very nice -- I think what kev is referring to is the fact that they are smooth and light; they do not feel heavy at all, which may feel less durable, but I think these are high quality faders. They don't lend themselves to scratching type tricks because the cut in is not extremely sharp at all, and you can't adjust the length of the cut-in. But they will withstand rigorous use just fine.

But even scratch DJs shouldn't be "slamming the faders" so hard they break off anyway; the goal is quick, precise cuts, not whacking it as hard as you can. But if you want precise cuts for scratching you'll want an innofader (which A+H says the replacement is "plug and play") or a pro-x fade. I don't know about replacing the channel faders though.

Also I think this will sound a little better than the Rane but the Rane sounds amazing too so it's probably only marginal difference. I noticed the difference from an Ecler (the "Rane of Spain") but not such a huge difference that I dirtied my pants or anything.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I have a question ... does anyone understand why the BPM ranges are not inclusive? Shouldn't 90-150 be 90-180 for example? What if something is 83 or 175? The range doesn't seem to have any effect on how well the mixer detects BPM but still, that's kind of strange.

Mine replacement db4 is coming today

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Shweet.. At least ups cant screw things up with office deliveries
    hopefully. i'll be playing with it and mixx on my work pc during my lunch break if all goes well

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I've thought about recording shows in my office as it's basically a studio with various backdrops.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I'm considering getting one of those portable turntables for my office so I can play vinyl while I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Can u clarify? In ur example of setting it to 90-150, r u finding it doesnt detect outside that range?
    No, it detects fine; I'm just not sure what's the point of setting the range is at all under the circumstances since it doesn't seem to change how it detects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast