First Post - Electro House/Dubstep Mix

Default First Post - Electro House/Dubstep Mix

Hello all,

I'm new here, although I've been lurking for a few days now. I haven't been mixing that long, but I really like it. I'm hoping to improve and learn a lot here.

I made a mix yesterday consisting mostly of electro house and dubstep tracks. I didn't use any effects, as I wanted to work on my beatmatching and phrase matching the most. I'm posting it hoping for feedback.

Tracklist
    The M Machine – Promise Me a Rose Garden
    R3hab & Swanky Tunes – Sending My Love f. Max C
    Lazy Rich f. Belle Humble – The Chase (Original Mix)
    Robyn – Indestructible (Laidback Luke Club Mix)
    Porter Robinson – The Seconds f. Jano (Original Mix)
    Porter Robinson – Vandalism f. Amba Shepherd (Original Mix)
    Kaskade – Room for Happiness f. Skylar Grey
    Dirty South & Those Usual Suspects – Walking Alone f. Erik Hecht (Original Mix)
    Dada Life – Happy Violence (Swanky Tunes Remix vs. Uppermost Remix)
    Rye Rye – Never Will Be Mine f. Robyn (R3hab Remix)
    Dan Sena – Song of Siren (Dirtyphonics Remix vs. LAZRtag Remix)
    Swanky Tunes & Hard Rock Sofa – Phantom (Original Mix)
    Nero – Crush on You (Killsonik Remix)

You can also find the mix, along with a download link, at the following post: http://www.djcommentninja.com/?p=128

Let me know what you think, I would appreciate the feedback!

Thank you and Enjoy!
    Last edited by alpha07; 11-14-2011 at 11:56 AM.

updated the first post with a soundcloud embed..

Tech Mentor

I listened to your mix in the car and on my headphones yesterday while running errands. I streamed it via iphone / subsonic. Here's my feedback.

- Thanks for providing a tracklist, proper embed on DJTT and a download link! Made it easy to listen and give feedback!

- I don't care for this style of music at all as a matter of personal taste. I don't understand the juxtaposition of syrupy sweet female vocals and FACE MELTING LAZER BASS. But I didn't.. hate.. most of your tracks. What was pretty disturbing was the fact that every track had a vocal. When you do this kind of tracklist, with no instrumental tracks to let the vocals breathe, you end up sounding a bit like pop dance radio. Pop dance radio is mixed with robotic perfection which you, as a beginning DJ who is actually mixing live, are unlikely to be able to achieve.

- The phasing of your mix was good, although there was not a huge amount of overlap in transitions. You seemed to often mix from the breakdown of one track into the intro of another track. The phrasing wasn't often spot on, and this combined with the amount of build and each track having a vocal made it an uncomfortable listen.

- Your levels were also pretty rough. This kind of music is uber-compressed and has a lot of sub bass, so it's difficult to match volumes, but I noticed more than a few mixes where the levels suddenly changed noticably.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt