Using other peoples mixes?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using other peoples mixes?

I find that at house parties, at the start of the night, at the end or if there is something interesting happening i will chuck on a mix i've downloaded.

... Infact, i actually have a playlist with 20 or so mixes i have which i can chuck on depending on the mood (I have mixed about 4 or 5 of these myself)... Although, if someone asks me if it is my mix, i will always point them in the direction of checking out their soundcloud / youtube, or atleast who mixed it.

It just saves me having to mix even though no one is on the floor and also gives me a quick break without having a lapse in music, or minute intros to songs.

Is this wrong?
    Cheers.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Wizard

If you have to be "saved" from having to mix, why DJ?

I struggle having to stand up looking at my laptop screen at a party for 5 hours. I love mixing, but it just gets a little too much for me after a while and i need a break.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    I struggle having to stand up looking at my laptop screen at a party for 5 hours. I love mixing, but it just gets a little too much for me after a while and i need a break.

Try to keep it interesting for yourself, instead of staring at your screen for hours look at it just when you have to. Try dancing to your own music up there, instead of just dj'ing and doing a task enjoy your own music too.

Tech Wizard

Either way personally it's something I wouldnt do. When people hear me mix I want them to have an impression of me. Even though if people ask if its you you tell them its not, theres still plenty of people who likely assume its you. Personally I think its deceitful, though granted you're trying to do it as honestly as possible ( and credit to you for that! )

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Why don't you record a few more short mixes of your own?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Why don't you record a few more short mixes of your own?
    +1

At house parties that i'm DJing at, from time to time I wanna go play a round of Kings Cup or some Beerpong or something so I usually just throw on one of my own mixes during that time period. Although its usually towards the end of the night, or the beginning.

Tech Guru

play your own mixes poseur.

Or have a buddy fill in for a few...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I like to break things up by performing some improvised stand up comedy. Gives me a chance to stretch my legs, work the crowd in a different way and spice things up. After that I will lay down some fierce drum and bass and spend the rest of the evening grinning. Stand up is not every DJs thing so I might also suggest mime or dinner theater (though you'd need to pack a few snacks).
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast