DJing with the s4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJing with the s4?

I see a lot of people here own the s4 or the s2 ... but from what I have noticed, most of you guys do not use it when you are doing live sets ... how many people here actually bring their s4 into a club/bar wherever and use it?

me. anytime, anywhere..

and i think a lot of s4 user actually use it in the club.. why would you buy a controller and and dont play out with it?
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

^^^ that's my thoughts exactly, but just from browsing around I see a lot of people own the s4 but use like the x1 / and or cdj's still.. i don't understand why u would buy the s4 and not use it when it actually means the most if u do live sets.

I've taken mine out several times, and done a lot of house parties with it too. But when I get the opportunity to use CDJs I usually do. I have more fun on turntables or CDJs, but I guess that's why I've sold my S4.

Also, I haven't encountered this personally, but some of the clubs around where I live don't allow outside gear, i.e. controllers.

Tech Guru

honest hard answer.

you see people complaining about gigging out with it here, mostly from people that dont gig out, arent comfortable with telling venue owners how theyre going to play, and are generally insecure about being a dj in the first place.

on the upside, i think most of them wont be dj's within a couple of years. so dont pay it any mind.

if you play on an s4, play on an s4. really, the conversation of "i need to put down my gear and wire into the mixer" takes about 10 seconds to have and the sound guys can handle the wiring of 2 rca cables no problem.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Well when I had my S4 I played out with it, and thats part of why I sold it. Almost all of the venues that I played at had no space to accommodate it. It was just too big to use in most clubs. It was also a damn hassle transporting it around as I fly a lot.

I also have the X1 and for me playing with the X1 in a club was much more convenient. I recently bought the Twitch which is much smaller and fits in nicely in the DJ booths.

I must add though that recently some clubs have started to embrace the digital DJ's, and now they have some space that you can put your S4. Its good news cos it shows that times are changing... slowly....

I really do wish that it wasn't so big, cos then maybe if it would be a little bit easier to carry especially when traveling internationally. If so I might not have sold it.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Don't leave home without her.
    356 reasons why

I DJ out with mine, unless there is CDJ-2ks or 900s for USB/SD music.

Tech Mentor

I dont have one... Yet, but seriously if I had one I wouldn't ever leave the house without it. my first two gigs were on a numark mixtrack and I've gotta say I felt pretty silly carrying around a controller especially that one, but you know what I pulled it off I rocked the crowd and nobody had a damn clue that my mixtrack is a bit gumby, I can see in some clubs that space is an issue but I'd imagine alot of DJ's don't want to play with it because they don't want to stand out because they're nervous about looking 'different' but I reckon that if you can deliver and can rock a crowd it doesn't matter what you're playing on... check out Basto again and again at Tomorrowland he's playing to thousands with a laptop and an S4.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast