Recording Vinyl (conversion methods)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recording Vinyl (conversion methods)

Im looking to eventually start the grueling process of converting my collection to wav/flac and am looking for a good method.

Im SO not interested in dropping $100 on this so Im looking for the cheapest possible way that wont screw me on sound quality. I've got a M-Audio Delta 66 with a break out box.

I know there are a couple of the phono preamp interfaces out there but like I said, I dont want to drop unnecessary cash for this and would like to keep it under $20 if possible.

Keeping in mind the discussion that was going on the other day about lack of audio concept technology...I know a little about it but would like some input

Would this be sufficient?

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-quality-gro...ayphotohosting

(assuming I had the 2 RCA-1/4" male adapters)

Also...has anybody had experiences with the USB ION turntable?

Thanks

If your going to dj with software your going to need a soundcard right ?

And obviously you have vinyl, so you must already have a turntable and a mixer.

Why not just hook your mixer up to your soundcard and record like that, if you have a decent soundcard id say its going to be better quality than if you did it with the onboard soundcards they are using on those usb turntables.

I do have an old mixer but its not in the best condition and I dont want that effecting the sound quality so that's why I was looking for an other method.

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post

Also...has anybody had experiences with the USB ION turntable?

Thanks
    Hands of from that sort of turntables.
    I had one and tested it and returned to the shop, because of the rumble they produce .
    was not acceptable for me.
    Use a Good/proffesional turntable (not belt drive!), nice cartridge, in combination with a nice amplifier or phono amplifier into a soundcard.
    Better not use a mixer .
    Last edited by Anthony More; 03-14-2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Macbookpro 2.4 i5 4gb
    Traktor Pro 1.2.6.
    Black VCI-100 Mod firmware 1.3
    Presonus Firebox

Sorry to hijack but I've always wanted a good source of info for thid .... Any reccomendations on carts I've been using my 1210 and the al500 carts and needles that I use for djing is that not good would I be better using something else?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony More View Post
    Hands of from that sort of turntables.
    I had one and tested it and returned to the shop, because of the rumble they produce .
    was not acceptable for me.
    Use a Good/proffesional turntable (not belt drive!), nice cartridge, in combination with a nice amplifier or phono amplifier into a soundcard.
    Better not use a mixer .
    Thanks for the info man I will stay away from those then. Anybody check that ebay link? Would that be sufficient?

Tech Wizard

well the thing you posted is a ground loop isolator, it wont pre-amp your phono signal.
    you need a phono preamp, something like this.
    dont ask me about the quality of this acutal one, though.
    if you have a good hifi amp in your house, that might do the job though. it supposed to have a phono in and a tape or aux out. i think the phono preamps of most yamaha, technics, sony etc amps should be ok.

regarding the stylus, i once bought a needle for ripping only, the dude in that high end hi-fidelity audio nerd shop recommended a certain one.
    i ended up ripping all my vinyl with the rather worn out concordes i had. they just sounded better.
    but thats just my opinion.

edit: actually a S/N ratio of only 60dB on the preamp i posted is quite poor.
    try something like this instead.
    Last edited by weasel79; 03-16-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Tech Wizard djcelebrityt@hotmail.com's Avatar

IOU do a booster goes on mixxer output then you can set any level you like i have one but a good sound card should do the lot traktor pro has its own recording facilitie

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    If your going to dj with software your going to need a soundcard right ?

And obviously you have vinyl, so you must already have a turntable and a mixer.

Why not just hook your mixer up to your soundcard and record like that, if you have a decent soundcard id say its going to be better quality than if you did it with the onboard soundcards they are using on those usb turntables.
    Exactly...I run my turntables into my mixer(obviously) and then into soundcard(Mbox2Pro) and record. A cheaper, much easier program to use is Adobe Audition. Record straight to wav and then convert to whatever. Editing is a breeze too.

Turntable needles: For me, I use the Shure M447's. I also like the Stanton 680HP's. Both are extremely durable and track very well with high output.
    http://turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/40/16/1870.html

Tech Wizard djcelebrityt@hotmail.com's Avatar

needles for me are shure 500s never miss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast