Lets talk about basic setup (from a noob standpoint) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i recommend the sennheiser hd-25's for headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    i recommend the sennheiser hd-25's for headphones
    well I already have a pair of sennheiser hd-201's. we will see how those do. thanks for the info.

Get some studio monitors before you get any more controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Get some studio monitors before you get any more controllers.
    Honestly I disagree with this. While it's REALLY important for production, for just mixing, I think normal speakers (whatever you can get) is fine.

Honestly, speakers are low on my priority list. I know they are important, but if you're decently happy with what you have, it's not something that is going to make or break you I feel.

I use a Logitech 5.1 system hooked up to my mixer. It works just like I want it to, and I've had it for years just for listening. Can't really beat that.

Software/Controller > Headphones > Speakers IMO.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Honestly I disagree with this. While it's REALLY important for production, for just mixing, I think normal speakers (whatever you can get) is fine.

Honestly, speakers are low on my priority list. I know they are important, but if you're decently happy with what you have, it's not something that is going to make or break you I feel.

I use a Logitech 5.1 system hooked up to my mixer. It works just like I want it to, and I've had it for years just for listening. Can't really beat that.

Software/Controller > Headphones > Speakers IMO.
    Sound accuracy isn't important for DJing, I feel like having enough clarity and punch is critical for me and even monitors without a sub doesn't do it for me. If it doesn't sound good or I have to mix on wimpy speakers I'm not going to want to do it as much and it isn't as enjoyable. And right now it is all about enjoyment and fun for me. I honestly miss having a decent PA system to mix with. Mixing on my QSC HPR122is with 18" QSC sub was absolutely awesome.

your neighbors don't have an issue with you pumping it?

alot of us can't have it loud...

i spend a big deal of time in the headphones...

headphones > speakers
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    your neighbors don't have an issue with you pumping it?

alot of us can't have it loud...

i spend a big deal of time in the headphones...

headphones > speakers
    Well I don't really pump it but I like to have the sound very full with nice subbass, and all the walls are concrete between apartments so I have yet to have a complaint.

I think it depends how much you love music outside of the prospect of DJing.

If you consider yourself a connoisseur, having a solid pair of monitors can be a great investment. I have a set of NS-10m's I have trained my ears with for over ten years. Are they the greatest sounding speaker? No, but my ears are so used to them over the years, that I can tell you instantly where a mix sounds great and where it could use some work. Now granted I might not know exactly how to fix it, but I can hear it as clear as Vodka.

If you love music, buy a nice set of monitors. Listen to all of them in a nice treated booth like Guitar Center and bring a track you are very, very familiar with. Treat yourself to a whole new way to hearing sound.

You can dive into the sound you love and never regret the investment.

Tech Wizard

You can quite honestly just with a mouse and a copy of Traktor. Sure, I wouldn't be playing out on that, but I recorded a few mixes like that before I bought my controller (which is actually a nanoPad) to see what it was like.

Also, a nanoPad is a lot cheaper than a midifighter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12