Lets talk about basic setup (from a noob standpoint)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lets talk about basic setup (from a noob standpoint)

Hello DJTT forum users,

I have been doing a lot of lurking and youtube video watching and finally decided it's time to try my hand at mixing. Now I am a total noob at this but I am ready to turn this dream into a reality.

I was considering getting 1 Midi Fighter Pro (maybe 2) and the Traktor Kontrol S2 and running Traktor Pro.

From the looks of it, the Midi Fighter Pro looks like a ton of fun once you master all the settings (or make your own) and the S2 seems like a better solution than a separate 2ch mixer, audio card. You get extra buttons and easy control of tracks in Traktor Pro.

Tell me if this sounds like a good start. I would love some feed back. Thanks

Tech Guru

you don't need all that gear to start mixing.

get a copy of traktor and start there before you shell out 5 grand on gear you don't know how to use.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    you don't need all that gear to start mixing.

get a copy of traktor and start there before you shell out 5 grand on gear you don't know how to use.
    I appreciate the honesty. Is it not a whole lot easier to control Traktor with something like the S2?

Honestly... I would just rock the Kontrol S2 without a midifighter to start.

Spend the money on a decent set of headphones instead of the midifighter.

You can choose to augment the S2 with another controller later if you feel its necessary.

Seconded.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

thirded. nothing worse then taking something up and finding its not for you... after youve spent a ton of money.
    get your feet wet before going for PLURAL purchases

Honestly, Traktor is definitely the best choice for software in terms on sound quality IMHO - Serato's algorithms can be crappy sometimes.

As far as controllers, unless you have a deep understanding of how those controllers work and how you're going to use each one effectively, I'd slowly start small and work your way up.

I'd suggest getting the S2 first, but the S4 could handle a lot more like juggling the sample decks or decks C&D in TP2 (the S2 won't). The S4 also technically has a 5th deck in the recorder deck. Then from there, after you get situated and you still find you want to do more, then get something else. You may find you never needed those others in the first place.

Don't forget the main thing is your sound - not your rig. I've seen DJ's with decked out MACs, tons of crap behind the booth, but they sounded horrible. Keep it basic - you need to be about how you sound, not about what you have.
    Last edited by ACE; 11-15-2011 at 02:49 AM.

All great advice! So any suggestions on headphones then?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by UsuRpergoat View Post
    All great advice! So any suggestions on headphones then?
    If you are willing to spend as much on the headphones as you were on the Midi Fighter. The Pioneer HDJ-1000's have been great to me, there is also the HDJ-2000's which are newer but also a bit pricey. I also hear pretty good things about the Shure SRH750 are a great headphone for the price (~$100). Also, I've never used them personally but a lot of people seem to like the TMA-1's that DJTT sells.

Good choice with the S2, I have an S4 and I absolutely love it.

Avoid the HDJ-1000s if you rely on glasses. They aren't very friendly to mine.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast