Apc40 + Launchpad
    Tech Mentor

Default Apc40 + Launchpad

Anyone running this setup? How's it working out? I haven't seen much footage of anyone using this combo anywhere or really heard anything about how they perform together but I'm thinking it would be pretty powerful for production as well as a live setup. I'm really starting to regret not getting that apc...
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Tech Guru

Dont really see much by adding a launchpad to the APC but you could add a fader/rotarty controller to the launchpad and add alot.

I mean the apc is basically a grid matrix by default so if you added it to a launchpad in default you would have a really really big grid matrix, which is no point.

You could setup the launchpad in user mode and have live drum pad, step sequencer, have a dedicated keyboard to play synths. And then still use the apc for effects and launching clips.

If you already have the launchpad try checking out the novation mlk zero (i think). Its basically a novation midi keyboard without the keys...might be what your looking for.

As far as a launchpad and APC40...it seems very redundant and your money might be better spent on another controller.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Rukks View Post
    Dont really see much by adding a launchpad to the
    You could setup the launchpad in user mode and have live drum pad, step sequencer, have a dedicated keyboard to play synths. And then still use the apc for effects and launching clips.

If you already have the launchpad try checking out the novation mlk zero (i think). Its basically a novation midi keyboard without the keys...might be what your looking for.
    I was thinking of using the launchpad in user 1 mode for drums and synths and whatnot.
    I considered the zero, I think that the apc40 adds just as much if not more functionality (same amt of knobs and faders, albeit some on the zero are pots), costs significantly less second hand, and I wouldn't have to deal with automap which I haven't heard good things about.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Quote Originally Posted by Zhao View Post
    I was thinking of using the launchpad in user 1 mode for drums and synths and whatnot.
    I considered the zero, I think that the apc40 adds just as much if not more functionality (same amt of knobs and faders, albeit some on the zero are pots), costs significantly less second hand, and I wouldn't have to deal with automap which I haven't heard good things about.
    two launchpad's make an awesome combination so i don't see why a launchpad + apc40 wouldn't do too... all depends if you want more grid pads ofc. the novation nocturn would be a cheap way of just adding encoders to a launchpad setup but the only way to use a nocturn is via automap as it doesn't output midi itself.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

What's the hate for automap? I thought you could just set it to midi mode and ignoring the fact you have an additional program open it behaves just like a midi controller? Is this not true?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    What's the hate for automap? I thought you could just set it to midi mode and ignoring the fact you have an additional program open it behaves just like a midi controller? Is this not true?
    pretty much true afaik, it's just a pain they didn't just create a midi driver for it. personally i don't like to have to run automap as i already run my own middleware app ofc, but running automap is only like having to run darouter with a scs.3d (not that u *have* to run darouter ofc). so far i've coded everything into midimasher that i needed darouter and automap for and it's nice only having to run the one middleware app.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Well if it had a midi driver you'd lose the cool pages of encoder led knob thingys, though since you have your own program fair enough, I can see why it's a bit redundant.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Well if it had a midi driver you'd lose the cool pages of encoder led knob thingys, though since you have your own program fair enough, I can see why it's a bit redundant.
    no reason why they couldn't have written a midi driver that supported midi messages to do all u need on a nocturn, in the same way the scs.3d does. darouter does loads of cool stuff but it still talks midi to the scs.3d/3m's. i guess it was just a cost cutting thing. but agreed not really a big deal having to run automap if you're not already running some other middleware app.