Getting The Best Sound Out of Your Traktor
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Getting The Best Sound Out of Your Traktor

hey guys, so recently i was watching this interview with Tony Andrews, the Owner of Funktion One speakers, probably the best live systems in the world. look em up if you don't know, anyway i was super stoked to see him using the echo audiofire sound card, as i kno that is a card Ean uses and highly recommends (would probly have one if i wasnt tsp user), and he made it pretty clear that is the best sound card there is haha.

But he also reveled some info i think alot of people would be suprised to hear, mentioning how NI had asked them to review there sound card, as the legend of a company they are regarding high sound quality, and they were suprised to find not very good results, but only when in use with traktor, but when the soundcards were used with Fubar2000, the sound quality was very close to on par with the echo, but slightly less.

Then he mentioned how NI called them back 2 weeks later telling them how to fix it, step one, classic eq, the other eq settings add layers of processing and change the dynamics resulting in alot lower quality sound(atleast if your trying to retain full quality of a properly mastered dynamic 320,wav,flac ect.), second step, turn of auto limiter inside traktor.

also through a google search i found this article wich pretty much covers just that, but doesnt mention the limiter, and does mention the key lock (wich would make sense aswell)
    http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...+Sound+Quality

if anyone wants to see the video of Tony Andrews talking about it heres the link, starts talking about it right at 39 mins

[ame="http://vimeo.com/31191130"]Lecture: Tony Andrews of Funktion One (Madrid 2011) on Vimeo[/ame]

ill also add i called NI to ask what the difference in the MK2 timecode vinyl was today, so i decided to mention that aswell and see if they recognized the issue and if they planned on adressing it at all, the employee immediately got deffesnsive and said hes not aloud to talk about that subject and he knows nothing about it... lol w/e.. just curious if im the only one a little bugged by this, lol, i never would have known if my buddy didnt show me this vid

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Makes sense that if you turn off the things affecting the sound the sound will be better. It's all so subjective anyway If people are dancing who cares. I guess if you're lucky enough to be playing on a Funktion system you should do these things, but for the average club and average drunk club goer it's not such a big deal.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Wow. That was really low volume on the video, is it ironic or does it serve a function?

LOL...thats true Jojo.

My mate...who taught me to mix back in the day came onto Skype yesterday asking me which version of Traktor I use and how? He is wanting to now jump on the band wagon.

He is a producer first....so sound quality and production is a big concern to him. He will be playing a lot of his own music as well as other producer mates music.

Usually, we play WAV and have always snubbed the cats playing MP3's.

So I tell him that when I play Psytrance, its Wav files (as this is how I get em from the producers etc), but my Electro collection is all MP3.

He went nuts...

If you are a perfectionist....I guess you would not want to play 320 MP3's, but its so common place these days and seeing how subjective it is....who cares.

As long as YOU personally are happy with the sound and the mix....why should anyone else care.

I would not play a low quality MP3....thats a NO NO, but i personally can not tell the diff between 320 and Wav.

If its not distorting and sounds clear on my Tannoy's, I am good to go I guess.

I think the point is, to try and do the least amount of degradation to the audio.

If you playing Wav's....but you have all these odd settings....you will have a bad sound.

If you playing a 320 MP3 and you have all the settings correct, you should not have an issue.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by koffa View Post
    Wow. That was really low volume on the video, is it ironic or does it serve a function?
    And the mikes dropping out . I would expect to really learn something from a legend like Andrews, but found that interview tedious. I don't claim to be an expert in this field, but found his insight sparse. There was unbiased support to 'certain' brands, without objective comparison.

I am always amazed at the assumption that club-goers do not discern or appreciate good sound - why is there such complacency about optimising their listening experience?

Lastly - a 'quickie' please - to keylock, or not to keylock - that is the question.
    356 reasons why

Tech Wizard

What's the deal with the mk2 timecode? I'm thinking about ordering a few pairs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    And the mikes dropping out . I would expect to really learn something from a legend like Andrews, but found that interview tedious. I don't claim to be an expert in this field, but found his insight sparse. There was unbiased support to 'certain' brands, without objective comparison.

I am always amazed at the assumption that club-goers do not discern or appreciate good sound - why is there such complacency about optimising their listening experience?

Lastly - a 'quickie' please - to keylock, or not to keylock - that is the question.
    You should not keylock if you have a slow machine or if you are more than a couple BPM off the other track.

It degrades the sound for sure.

@J5K....there is a thread about them MK2 TCV's here in the General Discussion bro.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post

@J5K....there is a thread about them MK2 TCV's here in the General Discussion bro.
    Cool thanks. I read through it but it was basically "will mk1 vinyl still work?" or "why won't mk1 work with x?". The OP seemed to have an issue with the mk2 that NI was being tight lipped about. My mk1's work fine, but are getting worn out so I'm thinking of ordering mk2's.

ill also add i called NI to ask what the difference in the MK2 timecode vinyl was today, so i decided to mention that aswell and see if they recognized the issue and if they planned on adressing it at all, the employee immediately got deffesnsive and said hes not aloud to talk about that subject and he knows nothing about it... lol w/e.. just curious if im the only one a little bugged by this, lol, i never would have known if my buddy didnt show me this vid
    Last edited by J5k; 11-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.

I'm not disparaging someone who obviously has a shit-ton more experience than I do and obviously knows his shit…but I have a very hard time believing the Echo Audiofire is anything special.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    I would not play a low quality MP3....thats a NO NO, but i personally can not tell the diff between 320 and Wav.
    same here, dont understand some people who freak out just because of the file. I understand why mp3 can have a bad rap but as long as your not playing transcodes and you stick to 320 then you should be ok.

sure with the right gear and at the appropriate sound level I'm sure some people can tell the diff between lossy and lossless, but if your at a club or festival your ears are most likely getting damaged like every second that your there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast