TV as computer monitor
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Default TV as computer monitor

Anybody use a smaller TV screen something lik a 19" for a computer monitor? What are the pros and cons? I would be using traktor and internet browsing on in, but that's it. PIP would be nice if that's possible.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I'm using my 32" LCD TV as computer monitor, because I have very limited space in my apartment and that way I can use my computer while lying in my bed. The downside is maybe that you have to adjust everything, from your system font to the way your browser shows you websites. But after a short while you will find the right adjustment, so it's not that bad.
    Oh, and of course I can't have the TV running in the background anymore, when I'm working on the computer, because, well, I'm using the TV right now for something else. I don't have PIP, so I can't tell how this works out.

I've seen producers use 32 inch TVs and the like in the studio so I guess it's down to the resolution really.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

typically, a TV will have a lower screen resolution than a computer monitor of identical screen size. particularly, a 19"-20" monitor will have 1280x1024 resolution at the very least but often more (such as 1600x900). a 19" TV will have 1366x768 (in case of a modern LCD HDTV) at best, sometimes less (older models).

also, it is easier to configure a computer monitor than a TV. it can sometimes be a pain to get a TV to display output at native resolution. (note that an LCD display should always run at its native resolution, otherwise the picture looks bad.) sometimes, a TV may run at native resolution only if you use a specific input port (e.g., it works over HDMI but not over VGA) or not at all. you are more likely to run into this issue when using an older model.

Tech Mentor

this explains the differences in screens really [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch"]Dot pitch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

I just started using my 32" lcd tv for either internet browsing, or to have visuals or other goodies going on while im running Traktor on my laptop. Heres the thread i posted earlier of it in action:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40674

Beside all the technical stuff, don't forget that you should play at home the same way you perform live.
    Switching from a 42" LED TV to a 13" MacBook can be disturbing, and this uncomfortable change may affect the quality of your set.

i had my 32 inch hooked up as a monitor but it took alot from my cpu.. idk why
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

I currently am using my tv along with my monitor as dual monitors, running traktor on my monitor and background apps, website etc on my tv. Works great as I always have traktor open ready to be used when I want to, while on the tv browsing sites for music etc..