Performing live, and you 've got nothing to do - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hell just pretend to be beatmatching or something along those lines lol. Like put your cans on one ear and pretend like your nudging the next track back / forth. They'll never know what you were doing was acting!

Drink something. And rock out. Really, just feel and respond to the crowd. Answer a question someone lurking might ask you.

Sometimes songs need to be played out. I get so frustrated when going to a show when people are speed mixing 100% of the time, or trying to do too much all the time. Really, just rock the fuck out man.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

This situation should never arise. If I had time away from mixing, I'd look through my tracks and pick the next one (or next few)

Only other DJs care what you are doing...your average punter just wants to dance to some good tunes...

Personally i would never pretend to do something i'm not...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Dance, That's why I love Music, it makes me move.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

never pretend to do something.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    never pretend to do something.
    Exactly. Because even if 99% of people have no idea your twiddling a pointless knob or fader, someone in the crowd is a DJ. And he knows. He knows. And I don't know about everyone else, but when I rock a crowd, it's great. When I rock a crowd and another DJ comes to the booth and tells me it's rocking, Awesome!

Personally, I indulge in some fist / arm pumping and drinkage.
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

I did NOT invite two hot girls to get behind the booth last Saturday. STUPID ! I think that effects like beatmasher 2 + filter can create some easy build ups that the crowd loves.

Great tips all around.

Everybody seems to encourage drinking, I wonder if I could DJ while drunk, sounds like I just made plans for next weekend, all in the name of science of course.

Though I haven't really played live much, what I do in those times is find a song with a Quirky synth or something, loop it up, drop a low pass filter on and work the synth into the song. It can add an extra layer to the song without ruining it, and shortening loop size along with the song on buildups adds a lot of excitement. For the breakdown of the main song run the synth at normal loop size but add a delay, with the right synth it can add a massive amount of depth to a female singer or just basic beats.
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast