Performing live, and you 've got nothing to do - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    drink more.
    not too much though i literally fell out of the dj box a few weeks ago when i finished a student night (luckily when i had finished and not mid set!!), the mixing was fine, the crowd were loving it, and buying me drinks, but at the end of the night i was absolutely tw*tted! had to look through my archive the next day to see what i was playing!
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Mentor

hahaha I agree on the midi figther, smash those arcade buttons like you are doing hadouken.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    not too much though i literally fell out of the dj box a few weeks ago when i finished a student night (luckily when i had finished and not mid set!!), the mixing was fine, the crowd were loving it, and buying me drinks, but at the end of the night i was absolutely tw*tted! had to look through my archive the next day to see what i was playing!
    Yep.. been there... not good... especially if you puke at ur girlfriends parents house after the set

I don't usually pre-plan my sets and I beat match, so i'm busy from the moment I start until the end of the night's 7 min. tunes.... A lot depends on how long your set is and what crowd your playing for.... If your playing a 6 hour set, then its ok to not be super busy the whole time... use that time to move to the music and read and react to your crowd... but never add FX to your tunes because your bored. Unless your doing a live remix set (max 1 hour) I'd use FX and sample layering sparingly... but that's just my opinion after years of experience.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    haha what student night was that?

My answer might not be the best, but honestly I felt the same way around 2 years ago. I changed the midi controller for 2 TTs and started to manually beatmatch. After a couple of months I decided that I did not wanted to use tracktor anymore.
    Now I use 2 Cdjs and 2 TTs and no laptop (usually 2 deck mixing ocassionaly 3). I dont get much idle time and really enjoying it much more. I get more frustrated when things go bad, but on the other side the payback when you do everything right yourself is really awsome.

Every time I have free time I use it to find the next tracks on the wallet or crate, organice etc. I feel like a musician again
    This way you will keep your brain working and thinking in music, not in files, folders, mappings, cables, interfaces ... you know
    Last edited by alien2k; 12-01-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jay2 View Post

ew. what's worse, is that he's apparently on some kind of tour currently...

Haha awesome video with Amon Tobin. I'll do exactly as he recommends. Sneaking up on the mixer has to be a crowd pleaser haha!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345