Performing live, and you 've got nothing to do - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    sebastiannz

plan out the next few tracks is one thing you could do.

i have the same problem. traktor makes it so fast to mix that there is HEAPS of free time. I've been meaning to get some cool accapellas and be a bit more creative but haven't got around to it yet

it's true though re: people just want to hear the track, so don't mix out of it too early. unless it's a 10 minute prog monster and people are getting bored.

drink more.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

also if you are about to play an anthem, you can give them a glimpse of what is coming by looping 8 or 16 bars of a breakdown synth of the anthem, and play it filtered during the breakdown of the playing track. It will give you something to do and build crowd anticipation, but only use it on a track you know people sitting down will stand up for.. but If your not doing anything you should be trying to amp up the crowd by connecting with them by enjoying yourself.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Just watch what Steve Angello does, he's such a good DJ that he doesn't even need to touch his mixer or CDJ's to do transitions. He has more than you can imagine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zod2p...eature=related
    Last edited by elio_xh; 11-20-2011 at 03:29 AM.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Drink, Dance (repeat)

Think it's been mentioned, I'll spend the time getting the cue right for the next track even if it's been saved I'll double check that and make sure the next track "feels" right and cut a sample of it in over the current track (if it fits) etc...
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

I don't think Jesus pose can be suggested enough, plenty of hot girls at the bar, you could JO. ( gotta keep it pg so no explanation there) or go piss, preferably Not onstage.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Plenty of constructive ideas so I will add: bring a sandwich.
    I brought a sandwich with me the other day and it kept me occupied for at least two hours.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    Plenty of constructive ideas so I will add: bring a sandwich.
    I brought a sandwich with me the other day and it kept me occupied for at least two hours.
    You didn't eat the sun dried tomatoes did you?

On a more serious note... Scratch? If that's not your thing, and you already know what you're going to play next, I'd probaby be searching for the track(s) after that, and auditioning them in the headphones. It sounds like you pretty much plan your playlist, which is fine but you don't want to play the same sequences all the time (residency). Take the time you have to experiment with deviations from your plan.

i dance to the song
    check my phone
    check fb
    txt my bootie calls
    see which other girls r in the crowd that might be of interest :P
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

I did not read the responses, was too lazy. Whatever I did skim over though I think you guys mis-understood slightly. I think he's asking what he should do during performances if the crowd is watching him, so it looks like what regular people think in their head DJs should look like when they're DJing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ_exjCaoY0

My suggestion would be get a MidiFighter . It always gives you shit to do during performances!
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 11-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast