The reason I HATE 18ths...
    Tech Wizard

Default The reason I HATE 18ths...

Did an 18th last night, for my cousins girlfriend.

I managed to build it up so that the majority of people were dancing and got to playing some awesome funky house remixes, and the got the pro house out

So all was going really well, I was mixing better than I ever have before. (I think this is because of the equipment we had, hired out a DJM800, and without a mixer at home so think it helped no-end!).

But then.....just dropped an absolute bomb (every teardrop is a waterfall - Swedish house mafia mix) and even got a cheer when It got dropped. Then the birthday girls dad came up and told me to put some rock on, and if I didn't then he was going to refuse to pay! I told my cousin and he said he's a nob so just do it for abit. So I did, and emptied the dance floor! HE DIDNT EVEN DANCE!!

So then after that I had to play a load of commercial top40 shizz, and struggled to get nearly anyone to dance. Got a fair few up, but never the amount I had before.

Then at 12 all the young ones went and I had to play arctic monkeys an the likes until 1. Was horrible! Not my kind of thing at all!

So overall, I was pleased with how I performed with the equipment, and it's given me a massive boost to continue and practise! But it just really pissed me off that I near enough had the crowd in the palm of my hand, and It just got ruined (mainly for te birthday girl!) by a stupid ass dad!

Anyways here's a couple of pictures of the setup and a video of when we were trying to get people dancing again.

Gear list:
    2011 13" MBP
    Traktor duo 2
    Traktor audio-2
    Traktor kontrol X1
    Pioneer DJM800
    AKG K518LE
    KRK RP5 monitor

Speakers:
    Funktion One Res4 mid highs x2
    Funktion One 118 Subs x2

And a random lighting set up.

[ame]http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv85/martinlovesfosters/de44e231.mp4[/ame]
    - 2011 13" MBP | Akai LPD8 | KRK MP5's | iPhone 4 TouchOSC Custom Map -
    - Traktor Duo 2 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | NI Audio 2 -

you had funktion ones at a birthday party o.O !

But yeah birthday (disco) DJs are expected to play everything and anything,
    So you will get dodgy requests and peoples fathers/grandfathers telling that your shit, when you have the whole dancefloor pumping.

Next time, take a deposit on your pay to cover any losses,
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

Yeah, we rig up nightclubs as a hobbie for a company near us.
    So get 50% off hire I'll see if my uncle took any pictures of the front of the set up and put them up.

Getting a deposit is a good idea, and I know I'm supposed to play everything, but there was literally 10 older people and there was 140 at the party! So I wasn't expecting to play any older music :-(

Urgh... Always leaves a sour taste after the party has finished.

I'm just so glad I haven't had these kind of bump ins by obnoxious dads... URGH!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    you had funktion ones at a birthday party o.O !
    That's what I thought as well....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

I did a mate's engagement party once as a favour wasn't to keen on doing it but they're good mates and they really wanted me to so I said I would, I was playing mainly top40 and some indie classics people were dancing and a drunk uncle came up and told me to...

"stop playing so much bloody black music!"

I didn't care he was the uncle of the bride to be I told him to 'fuck off'

Basically, majority rules!
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Tech Wizard

Here's another small video of another 18th we did, you can see the Funktion one stacked as the camera goes to the left.

We used CDJ's at this one with TSP2 on a mates laptop. But I took the video about 1.5hours in, when people were just starting to dance so used VDJ. Then switched over about an hour later.

That one all went swimmingly

[ame]http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv85/martinlovesfosters/de44e231.mp4[/ame]

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    I did a mate's engagement party once as a favour wasn't to keen on doing it but they're good mates and they really wanted me to so I said I would, I was playing mainly top40 and some indie classics people were dancing and a drunk uncle came up and told me to...

"stop playing so much bloody black music!"

I didn't care he was the uncle of the bride to be I told him to 'fuck off'

Basically, majority rules!
    Yeah, my first thoughts exactly! The whole dancefloor was filled!

But he's the guy who's paying :-( so sadly couldnt.