2 Questions about Traktor to Ableton with Timecode
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 2 Questions about Traktor to Ableton with Timecode

Hi everybody, I was googling around to answer these 2 questions.
    Normally im pretty good with using keywords but I ran out on these two questions. I can't find anything simular to this.
    First of all, let me introduce myself and my setup so you can think with me.
    Im Matt from the Netherlands.
    Been djing with traktor for almost 2 years now.
    Started as fun at private party's and got allot of good feedback so it grew further. Nowadays I play at local clubs.
    But something got me bothering during my (live) sets... latency!??

My setup:
    - Macbook (late2008) 2.4 dual core with 2gb virtual. Running Leopard 10.5.8
    - NI Audio4DJ
    - Traktor Scratch Pro 2.0.1
    - Ableton Live 8 with Audio Damage Dubstation & Soundtoys Echoboy used as live effects.
    - UC-33a in midi channel 1 used as effect rack with 4 faders + knobs in ableton and 4 as effects in traktor.
    - Akai MPD24 in midi channel 2 used for trigger effects cue/play etc only in traktor.
    Reloop RMX40 4 channel mixer.

With a few mods I followed this tutorial about setting traktor to ableton up.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/1...ableton-4-mac/
    Im routing my 1/2 out and 3/4 out from traktor using Soundflower as my audio out device to ableton.
    1/2 (Deck A) comes in over Audio track 1, sends only to Return A and then 1/2 out on my Audio4DJ to line-in 1 on my mixer.
    The same story for the B deck on 3/4 out ofc.
    Also I got my Traktor and Ableton synced using a MIDICLOCK as described in the tuto.
    Check this printscreen.

As you see im using 2 effects each audio rack. Audio3 is offtopic because I messed that up
    Now my problem comes here I think. When I play a set for like 20minutes or so my master out is starting to stutter.
    Like the clock is out of sync passing the effects when the effects are completely dry..
    It starts to ramble the audio. But when I switch to my ableton screen I can't see what happened because the audio is playing good again.
    I also watched my cpu in both programs but it gives no sign of stressing. Time/audio bombs in the effects are not the case. (legal)
    On windows laptops sometimes the wireless card causes latency and gives a simular effect of what im having. But I closed my airport down.
    Does not seem to fix it.
    Im getting sick and tired of this problem and I ran out of possible solutions. Hope one of you can help me out on this one.

The second question I have is that if im using this setup traktor over ableton.
    Is it possible then to use timecode?
    Because the audio4dj is assigned to ableton for A/B out and not used as audio in or out device in Traktor.
    Would love to try timecode but I love my vst's!

Your help is much apreciated on this one so thnx in advance

P'z!
    Monomatic

I'll give you the usual suspects :
    First update your drivers for audio 4
    Then update your traktor to 2.0.3 since 2.1.1 seems to be a bit of a botched update.
    Also update your mac to at least snow leopard 10.6.8

Maybe the thing that will do the most change in your case is the osx update, also, because you are trying to use two programs at the same time (audio related) maybe think about getting 4 gigs of ram for your computer. It shouldn't be that expensive, and will really boost your computer, for a definite boost in your system, grab yourself a faster hard drive.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Thank you for your fast response!

I will try to update everything and see what happens. Hope it will fix the issue because it sucks when you have to play somewhere :S

Another one: what happens if I put my buffer size to a higher value?
    its now 512, I tried 1024 but I dont know if it has something to do with it.

It also happens when I load an analyzed track into a deck while the other deck is playing. Looks like my mac is freezing for half a sec. So mayb lack of virtual memory will solve it..

And does somebody know that timecode will work when you use the audio4dj as audio out device in Ableton? I dont have the resources to test it..

Tech Wizard

I believe you need to have the audio 4 selected as the inputs in traktor for timecode to work.

Quote Originally Posted by J5k View Post
    I believe you need to have the audio 4 selected as the inputs in traktor for timecode to work.
    Yep.

AFAIK, there's no way to route Traktor's audio into Ableton if you're using time code without using a second audio interface for Abeleton and actually using cables.

I want to use Maschine, not Ableton…but that is one of the reasons I'm very hesitant to bother with time code.

You can use Virtual Audio cables to route Audio From Traktor to Ableton. But for safety sake, I would prefer real hardware over any virtual patch for live performances.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

The virtual stuff works just fine…the problem is that it's hard to pull the signal out of Traktor when you have to select the Audio [4|6|8|10] as the sound card to make the DVS work.

What mostapha said.

And i think it would actually be better for performance if you use everything internal. Think about it, if you use the same audio device (without scratch functionality) then the clock (internal clock for your audio device/drivers/audio software) is the same, and you have the same latency set in each programs (the way you can do it with jack audio for osx). Were you to go the hardware route, you'd end up with : input latency for traktor + processing latency + output latency + input latency in Live + processing + output
    And that is without taking into account that you have to have 2 audio interfaces + cables, what a mess...
    Jack audio is the best bet (once you found thru testing the best latency for your set up), because everything is centralized. The only downside is no scratch functionality, but this is native instruments imposed, because in reality it can work, even with really low latency.
    I'm now a proud owner of traktor scratch pro 2 myself, but it really sucks that you cannot use jack for example and get the scratch.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Why do you prefer Jack to Soundflower? Jack on Linux was a nightmare.

Because soundflower can only have software inputs, unlike jack that handle both. If not for that soundflower wins by its minimalistic and uncluttered design ( plus ease of setup of course ).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast