It this legal ?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It this legal ?!

Hi guys,

Recently I stumbled upon this guy who goes by the name DJ Mebbe. He has loads of fans on facebook.

Before I continue, this is where you can find him:
    www.djmebbe.com

This guys publishes, on a monthly basis, a huge amount of music sorted in different genres such as Club, Dance, Carribean, R&B, DJ Tools (Mashups), etc.

These volumes are available for download for free, direct downloads and torrents.

His website looks very neat, and he has now published his 38th or so volume.
    How can it be legal what he does ? And why has no one reported him all this time ?
    IMHO this is pure rape of publisher rights.

What do you think ?
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Mentor

that website is in Denmark.

Tech Mentor

not clicking it...

Tech Wizard

Well, while I think there may be a moral question here. He's not really doing anything illegal if he's paying for the music and then making a mix of songs and giving it out for free. He's not making any money off of it. Me and my brother share music all the time. We both pay for the same music service site and then trade each other songs depending on if we like what each other has. But again, we PAY for membership to the site. I'm not saying it's legal or illegal what this guy is doing. I guess it really depends on how you look at it. As for me I'm sticking to buying my own music from legit places. I'll say that it is more distasteful that he is just giving music away for free if that is what he is doing.
    Last edited by ian849; 11-21-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ian849 View Post
    Well, while I think there may be a moral question here. He's not really doing anything illegal if he's paying for the music and then making a mix of songs and giving it out for free.
    your wrong.

in the united states, as well as most countries it is completely illegal to give away someone elses intellectual property without permission.
    buying a song does not give you the right to give any part of it away for free to everyone else.
    legally, your not allowed to share mixes.
    you are allowed to play the songs as live entertainment, your just not allowed to record them to share.
    yes, it is done all the time and people rarely get caught. typically they just get a message asking them to stop sharing illegally.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Allensmusic View Post
    your wrong.
    Maybe I am wrong on this. Again, I PAY for my music so I don't agree with what this guy is doing. But there have been plenty of times that I have recorded sessions for friends and given it to them for free. So I guess what I am doing is illegal. It won't stop me from making mixes and giving them out to my friends. I also know a ton of DJs that post their sessions to Soundcloud. I wonder how Soundcloud gets away with letting people post on there service?

If it bugs people that much that this guy is giving away stuff that he has no right to they could call the RIAA. Don't know what authority (if any) they have in Europe. But you could find out.
    Last edited by ian849; 11-21-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ian849 View Post
    I wonder how Soundcloud gets away with letting people post on there service?
    They don't. If an artist takes notice of their song being posted to the site and wants it off, soundcloud obliges. Contrary to what DJ most DJ's over inflated sense of self importance tells them, DJ'ing is just playing someone else music for the most part. Furthermore, and more on topic, Soundcloud is not now, nor was it ever meant for mixes... It was meant for peoples original pieces to be posted and shared.

So we agree it probably is illegal to share this music. I wonder if he actually buys the music to begin with !

But then also, you have the other side of the story: people that download it. Are they wrong ? Them might be tricked in believing that it is legal, and therefore don't think about it when downloading, even though it seems pretty clear to me that downloading any music for free by renowned artist is illegal (even if someone else payed for the rights). Right ?
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Wizard

The bottom line then is that we all agree that it is illegal and wrong. Yes, eveyone that is downloading from this guy is wrong as well.

Tech Mentor

yeah it's illegal, but then again plenty of blogs out there put tracks up for downloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast