HID to MIDI question
    Tech Mentor

Default HID to MIDI question

I am thinking about building a custom controller from some old xbox controller pcb's and I was wondering, with HID to MIDI, would I have to have the HID to midi application running simultaneously with traktor? If that's the case I might as well stop now because I know my computer won't handle that
    I would appreciate if somebody would help me out.

Btw if this project takes off I will most likely be starting a build log in the near future

Thanks again

Edit: Also please say which program you've had the most success with on a mac.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Quote Originally Posted by Zhao View Post
    I am thinking about building a custom controller from some old xbox controller pcb's and I was wondering, with HID to MIDI, would I have to have the HID to midi application running simultaneously with traktor? If that's the case I might as well stop now because I know my computer won't handle that
    I would appreciate if somebody would help me out.

Btw if this project takes off I will most likely be starting a build log in the near future

Thanks again

Edit: Also please say which program you've had the most success with on a mac.
    yes you'd need to run the hid to midi app while running traktor tho no reason why that app would eat much cpu at all. in my testing of midimasher (non mac tho) it tends to eat about 0.5% of my old laptops cpu while running stacks of user callbacks. a simple hid to midi app shouldn't eat much at all. i have prototyped some hid to midi code for midimasher and that didn't seem to eat much extra cpu either, tho it's a pain having to poll the hid device compared to reading from a midi port.

no mac here i'm afraid so not sure of the best mac apps to use.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Well, I'm running an early 2006 13 inch Macbook with 1 gig of ram. It's a wonder traktor ever runs, the cpu bumps into the red every so often. I do plan on upgrading to 2 gigs (that the most it can hold :eek but until then I don't think any other programs running with traktor would work so well.

Well, I'm running an early 2006 13 inch Macbook with 1 gig of ram. It's a wonder traktor ever runs, the cpu bumps into the red every so often. I do plan on upgrading to 2 gigs (that the most it can hold :eek but until then I don't think any other programs running with traktor would work so well.
    running some hid to midi software should be more akin to running a driver than another app. it should use very little memory or cpu cycles. if all it's doing is converting presses from one joystick into fixed midi messages then it shouldn't eat more than 0.01% cpu or something - tho i don't know how efficient reading from hid devices is on osx.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

You are saying that your CPU bumps into red but you are upgrading RAM, what gives?
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    You are saying that your CPU bumps into red but you are upgrading RAM, what gives?
    Not quite sure I understand what you're saying. Unless I'm misinformed, I thought that going from 1 gig to 2 gigs of ram would bring down the cpu levels.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, I probably look really stupid

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying. Unless I'm misinformed, I thought that going from 1 gig to 2 gigs of ram would bring down the cpu levels.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, I probably look really stupid
    it'll reduce the need for the system to hammer the hdd so much if it can cache more - as to whether it'll actually reduce any cpu depends on what's being run. not significantly probably - but it should run faster as more can be cached in ram.

Don't worry, it is just the way I lay out my sentences. If you could try before you buy (dunno, lend a so-dimm card from a friend) that would be better. That is, in case you find paying for RAM as an extra expense.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.