Post your set up, and why you use it!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Post your set up, and why you use it!

Let me start by saying that i have been lurking DJTT for quite some time, and love the community. This is my 2nd post and hope to have many more =].
    Now then, I have been djing for a few years now, learned on serato scratch live with some 1200s. eventually got my own set up which consisted of a super cheap CDJ/mixer using SSL with 1 deck internal, and 1 deck time code. i wanted to upgrade to some CDJ 900s or 2000s and ditch SSL, but didnt have the cash to do so. i eventually upraded to the Numark V7 controller because of the awesome build quality and amazing features. I still love them, very much so, but i really dislike having to rely on a laptop. so I am thinking about trading my V7s for some CDJ800mk2s just to lose the laptop even though they are a little bit inferior function wise. This all made me wonder, what do you use, and why do you use it?

the tooth fairy owes me money

Tech Convert

ive seen that thread a bunch of times =]. im looking more for reasons they use them, not so much the set up itself!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bheinz63 View Post
    ive seen that thread a bunch of times =]. im looking more for reasons they use them, not so much the set up itself!
    To dj! I don't know i'm just throwing it out there.

Xone: DB4
    Two X1s
    Traktor
    MK5s

Because the mixer is the greatest modern DJ mixer ever created and I use the other controllers because I can't afford CDJ-2000s yet. Traktor and the X1s are cool and all but I would rather not plug in my laptop sometimes and just mix off flash drives, and if I did want to use traktor I would rather use the CDJ-2000s to control using HID and be more hands on.

Tech Mentor

I used to mix on a Numark Mixtrack with a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and a Kontrol X1, I originally got that setup because it was upgrade friendly and cheap, I've since ditched the Mixtrack and bought a Akai APC 20 and mapped it to near perfection. the reason I use controllers over CDJ's is because I dont see the point in spending more money to do less I can do more on my laptop and a kontrol X1 than a high end Pioneer rig with no laptop.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Quote Originally Posted by wongaling View Post
    I dont see the point in spending more money to do less I can do more on my laptop and a kontrol X1 than a high end Pioneer rig with no laptop.
    I find I often mix better when I'm just using two CDJs or two timecode decks than if I'm just pressing buttons and sitting around syncing tracks on X1s. It's a different feel and puts me in a different mode and sometimes the extra time and multitude of buttons lead to doing stupid things that detract from the mix.

With timecode or pure CDJs it forces me to really get in the zone and put my energy on perfectly mixing two tracks and I find those mixes often have more energy and I have more fun doing them.

Tech Wizard

I have s4 w/ midi fighter + x1

and cdjs 1000mk1 w/ DJM 600

been meaning to sell the cdj setup but im not quite ready yet. bcuz I totally agree with xonetacular with the feel when im on the cdj's w/ analogue mixer.

Tech Convert

Default Re: Post your set up, and why you use it!

I dont see the point in spending more money to do less I can do more on my laptop and a kontrol X1 than a high end Pioneer rig with no laptop.
    I find I often mix better when I'm just using two CDJs or two timecode decks than if I'm just pressing buttons and sitting around syncing tracks on X1s. It's a different feel and puts me in a different mode and sometimes the extra time and multitude of buttons lead to doing stupid things that detract from the mix.

With timecode or pure CDJs it forces me to really get in the zone and put my energy on perfectly mixing two tracks and I find those mixes often have more energy and I have more fun doing them.
    This is exaxtly why i want cdjs! Even if i find i dont like cd mixing, time code, plus an x1 for browsing/fx control would be very easy to add.

I really like my setup (as seen in my sig) because I feel like it brings things as close to "basic" as I can, while still having the ease of being able to mix my Mp3's instead of vinyl. A lot of my friends also use Serato, and so it's just much simpler bringing my laptop rather than an entire setup with chilling with them.

I don't mix out, yet, and still consider myself learning. But there's something to be said for keeping it simple, and this WAS the setup I dreamed about when I first got into mixing and researching what I wanted. It's honestly unreal actually owning it now, and I get such a stupid smile everytime I turn on the power and just have fun.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast