New DJ setup recommendations? And other questions

Default New DJ setup recommendations? And other questions

Hey all. I'm wanting to get into DJing, and I've been doing a lot of research but wanted to ask you guys for some advice.

I'm going to have about $1200 to spend on gear (not including software & already have a brand new high-end Macbook -- no firewire). I want to have a setup that I could take into clubs & practice with in my dorm. (I know it won't be ideal, but it is possible, yes?)

Here's my list of things I need, let me know if there is more.

Controller
    Sound Card (with headphone out)
    Headphones
    Studio Monitors

I'm wondering what you all would advice for each of those items. I think I have a good handle on the principles of mixing, I just need some tools to practice on.

I was thinking either the VCI-100 or the EKS Otus. What are the pros and cons to each? Is there something else you'd recommend?

If whatever controller I get doesn't have an audio interface I think I've decided on the Audio 4 DJ. Is this a good choice?

Is Traktor Pro the best choice for software? I've heard Ableton is "better" if you really learn it, and I'm willing to take all the time necessary to learn. Is this true? Does this change the controller choice a lot?

Thanks everyone!

I wouldnt get studio moniters strait away, for djing you really dont need studio monitors - any old stereo lying around will do fine - they are something you can get later down the track.

Focus on buying one thing at a time.

Ableton being "better" is highly subjective, i use both programs at the same time so you can take my word for it when i tell you that they are two totally different approaches to mixing and both have their pros and cons. Traktor cant do everything Ableton can do, and Ableton cant do everything Traktor can do.

Id say grab the VCI-100 you really dont need a huge jog like whats on the EKS to do mixes with.

The Audio4 is a decent choice yeah, its not that expensive and the quality of the parts are pretty decent, the latency isnt too bad either - wouldnt say its the best thing since sliced bread but it is pretty decent.

Tech Mentor

you need to go to your nearest guitar center or something and talk with them, look at the various options. i was here the other day messing with the numark stealth control. very nice controller i think. dont just go and buy a bunch of gear thats looks fancy. get something basic and fairly inexpensive and learn the basic.s it would suck to drop 500 bucks on controllers and then 6 months later realize that it doesnt really work out with your djing style and preferences. get something basic and learn the ropes. as you get better and learn your style, upgrade to cater to that style.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you go with Ableton it will, most likely, change your choice of controller.

But Traktor and Ableton are VERY different solutions. Follow what these guys are saying. Go to YouTube and watch demos and tutorials, download demos, etc.. Go to guitar center and check out controllers and ask if you can try out software. That's the best way to get an idea.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Oh god... whatever you do dont take the advice of the people that run those stores - my experience with the people running those stores with digital djing products is that they dont have the slightest qlue to what they are talking about.

Ableton 8 is going to be seriously interesting stuff especially topped off with Max For Live - there not really a ton of information about it yet, but from what i have read about it its going to enable us to do alot of the stuff that we are currently doing in Traktor - its just going to take many many more hours of work to do the same things.

If your a hellava nerd id say go for Ableton and are commited to learning the Max code(no small fete) then i would say grab Live - otherwise grab Traktor.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 03-18-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Don't take their advice, but ask to use stuff. A lot of the times they'll let you demo products, which is more important than what they have to say
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

thanks guys, keep it coming. i'm thinking i might lean towards ableton, its interface is more similar to some of the recording software that i've used. also, i am a hellava nerd so it sounds like a good challenge.

what controllers should i be sure to check out for ableton?

what about the process of using traktor with ableton? does it really work and is it a "best of both worlds" solution? or does it just add an un-needed level of complexity?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by timwoolsey View Post
    what about the process of using traktor with ableton? does it really work and is it a "best of both worlds" solution? or does it just add an un-needed level of complexity?
    Yes it really does work, its a bit complex but your cant really get around that - also yes it is the best of both worlds. Anything thats really cool generally aint that easy.