VCI-100SE: Fix It or Move On?
    Tech Student

Default VCI-100SE: Fix It or Move On?

DJTT masters, I'd like your advice.

I bought the black VCI-100SE back in '09 but circumstances became such that I hardly ever used it (I only took it out to one paid gig, really). I know, what a waste. But circumstances have changed and now I want to get back into DJ'ing but it's been a few years and it seems like everyone's kind of "over" this machine and in love with the various alternatives, including some from Native Instruments themselves. I also managed to damage one of the FX faders (the one on the top right) in such a way that it kind of wobbles a little when you slide it. It's also got the original VCI-100SE overlay and 1.3 firmware, not the new one that works perfectly with Traktor Pro.

- Assuming DJTT is still servicing the VCI-100SE, do I pay whatever it costs to bring mine up to speed, or should I sell it as is and invest in a new device? I am on a budget but selling and trading up aren't completely out of the question. Just seems kind of sad.

- When I bought the VCI-100SE, I had been using Traktor for years with just my mouse and became really enamored with the controllerism skills displayed by Ean and everyone here. But in practice I found I was playing very straight electro/house stuff with minimal loops and minimal FX and not at all deconstructing and recreating tracks in the impressive ways the VCI-100SE was designed for. In other words, I think it was probably too much machine for my purposes.

- I don't have occasion to play live much, but I love to create mixes at home. Some people have told me Traktor is not ideal for making mixes and edits and things like that as it's very linear and you can't go in and tweak your transitions and so forth, not while recording anyway.

- Along those lines, I've been getting more interested in production and Ableton Live (or its alternatives), and think I'd like to use some kind of tactile interface for that sort of thing too. Maybe there is an alternative MIDI controller that works well with both Traktor and Ableton without much fuss? Or maybe a more ideal combination of devices?

If it's helpful to know, my Soundcloud has one dance mix I made with loads of complicated edits and transitions and mash-ups, many of which I recorded separately in Traktor with just my mouse and then spun in sequence for the full recording (I never want to do that again, I want to be able to produce a mix nonlinearly, like a composition). There's also a completely easy, crossfader-only ambient mix. These are good examples of what I'd like do to more of with with DJ'ing and production.

I know that's an awful lot of text for someone who posts so rarely, so no offense taken if you guys tell me to F off.

Tech Wizard

Would it be an option to keep the VCI for traktor use and get a separate controller for ableton?

It's a lot of fun to run traktor and ableton side by side...

And even though there is loads of new stuff compared to the VCI-100 it's not a a bad unit. Think most of us are to keen to try new stuff to really squeeze the most out of the stuff we have.

On the other hand you should have a unit that make it fun doing what you want to do...

So no matter what advice you get it all boils down to what you're up to.

Hope you find your perfect setup!

cheers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Khouri View Post
    - I don't have occasion to play live much, but I love to create mixes at home. Some people have told me Traktor is not ideal for making mixes and edits and things like that as it's very linear and you can't go in and tweak your transitions and so forth, not while recording anyway.

- Along those lines, I've been getting more interested in production and Ableton Live (or its alternatives), and think I'd like to use some kind of tactile interface for that sort of thing too. Maybe there is an alternative MIDI controller that works well with both Traktor and Ableton without much fuss? Or maybe a more ideal combination of devices?
    Hi there, I liked your quieter mix. Lot's of great songs...

If you're mainly focused on making mixes at home studio, I would definitely recommend you TouchOSC. You can get an iPad2 and the software for the price of a modest physical controller.

In certain respects, it is the best controller out there.

Why I think it's good for you.

1)A page for Traktor live performance, a page for Ableton studio recording, a page for operating both at the same time, etc... All of these with no unnecessary buttons on the surface.

2) The way all faders and knobs are touch-sensitive, you can more easily operate multiple controls at the same time. (4 faders and 4 buttons, for instance)

3) XY pads are great for VST plugins and Traktor effects.

4) It replaces expensive motorized faders which are great for overdubbing or fixing transitions.

Why I think you might not like it.

Setting up is a fuss. Unless you're willing to settle for one of the default layouts, you have to design and program the whole thing. The fuss turned into pure joy for me after a while but you may not be like me...

It's a bit unfriendly in the clubs to me because you have to be rather calm using it (very sensitive, being a touch pad, you might touch the stop button in the middle of a mix if you're excited...) -- while I love to get all hyped in the booth. My choice is a combination of a small controller and TouchOSC, but for your purposes, I think just the software is good enough.

Anyway, check it out if you're interested.
    http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
    Last edited by DJ MiCL; 11-28-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Tech Student

Thanks to you both for the thoughtful suggestions. I think the iPad option sounds marvelous and I'll definitely look into TouchOSC once I get an iPad (hopefully this Xmas). I can imagine the initial configuration will be nightmarish but I can easily see how such a setup would be beneficial, especially with my specific goals.

Still not sure what to do with the VCI. DJTT Service hasn't got back to me on whether there's anything to be done with respect to repairs/upgrades (I definitely can't do the firmware update myself), but I'm really eager to get it sorted out because even if I decide to sell it, I'd like the unit to be as tip top as possible for the buyer. In the meantime, I'll continue reading DJTT and maybe discover some additional solutions.

Thanks again for the time and the advice, it's genuinely appreciated.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I sold my VCI to buy an S4. Then I sold my S4 to buy a DNX1600. I like the VCI-400.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I sold my VCI to buy an S4. Then I sold my S4 to buy a DNX1600. I like the VCI-400.
    Do I detect a theme here Captain Gearwhore?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers