Serato and Mixed in Key -- Help with analyzing BPM's
    Tech Convert

Default Serato and Mixed in Key -- Help with analyzing BPM's

Hi -- I have just analyzed a bunch of mp3 files in MIK5. MIK5 is able to determine their key and bpm perfectly.

The problem is when i load the files through serato, the key shows up fine but the bpm is not recognized. The only way for the bpm to show up in the bpm field is to REanalyze all the mp3's with serato.

Do i really have to analyze the files AGAIN with serato after MIK to get the bpm? why cant serato read MIK's already determined bpm??

Thanks in advance, it just seems kinda ridiculous to have to analyze twice after buying this program that is supposed to it in one shot.

Tech Guru

the tracks will have to be analyzed no matter what so that the waveform can be created by Serato.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Convert

thanks for the reply.

thats kinda what I have figured out. it makes sense, just adds more time to prepare i guess.

So in theory the most efficient way to prepare tracks using serato/MIK combination woudl be to:

1. first load into serato and analyze (giving BPM)

2. then load into MIK and analyze (giving KEY {and BPM} )

3. and THEN rescan id3 tags in serato

is that the way you guys do it?

Tech Wizard

No, you should do everything to your files before importing into Scratch Live. Do all tagging and keying of tracks before importing into Scratch Live. This will potentially save you troubles and headaches down the road (rescanning ID3 tags and tags reverting, etc.).

The general work flow you should try to follow is...

1) Get/download files
    2) Tag files, if necessary
    3) Run files through MIK to get key
    4) Import files in Scratch Live, set up crates, etc.
    5) Analyze files in Scratch Live

I wouldn't even bother with the BPM in MIK, just get the key. Scratch Live writes it's own special BPM tag value anyway which is needed if you plan on using auto loops/loop rolls. MIK's BPM value won't be this special tag that Serato uses.

Tech Guru

I do what Konix does.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

If you go into preferences, you can have MIK write the BPM. But yeah, it's good to have Serato analyze the track.