Small PA mixer

Thread: Small PA mixer

Default Small PA mixer

Hey guys,

I was thinking of picking up a small mixer like a behringer Xenyx 502 so that I can plug my S2 in and a friends controller at the same time to powered speakers... this would also give me a way to plug in an Ipod for a backup.

The Xenyx 502 is only 40 bucks so its an easy way to pull this off but I thought I would ask here in case someone had an alternate solution. I need something that would be compact so that it fits in my bag with my laptop and controller.

Any ideas?

jim

I have a 1002, (I think its a 1002)... Anyway, It works. But i would like having a 4 channel mixer instead... I use my controller via rga, another rga to 3.5mm plug for ipods and stuff, and then one output for my speakers, and one output for the sub.

As i said. They work, but its definitely not the best solution, and i hate having all the cables going everywhere on top, but that's just because theres no viable method of organising them easily.

But for the price, i guess its worth it?

Edit:With the 502, there are only two (1/4") rga channels.. So you wouldn't be able to have your controller, your friends and an ipod...
    Last edited by sparkbro; 11-28-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    I have a 1002, (I think its a 1002)... Anyway, It works. But i would like having a 4 channel mixer instead... I use my controller via rga, another rga to 3.5mm plug for ipods and stuff, and then one output for my speakers, and one output for the sub.

As i said. They work, but its definitely not the best solution, and i hate having all the cables going everywhere on top, but that's just because theres no viable method of organising them easily.

But for the price, i guess its worth it?

Edit:With the 502, there are only two (1/4") rga channels.. So you wouldn't be able to have your controller, your friends and an ipod...
    on the 502 I can use the Tape Recorder inputs for the Ipod with a RCA to 1/8 cable and theres two stereo chanels plus a mono mic channel so it should work fine...

Another thought... I have another external sound card, could I use it's inputs for a second controller or ipod and route them to the same outs as the S2's?

You can't run music through the mic input. It comes out very bad. I've tried :P

as for the last question... I'm not too sure sorry
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

yup... I just tried running audio through the mic... and it sounds terrible.

I hooked up an external sound card and routed its output to the default device (S2) in windows and it works. This works but I'm thinking an external analog mixer would just be easier.

There's also a Behringer MX400 which would work if I just run in Mono but the Xenyx 502 seems like a better value...

why not get something a little better and avoid compromise like running a mono signal?

There's some nice mixers for 50 bucks on musiciansfriend.com:
    -Alesis S-6 (2 mono with EQ + 2 stereo with EQ)
    -Soundcraft Notepad 102 ( 2 mono with EQ + 4 stereo no EQ )

You could also look into getting a dj mixer but for 3 stereo sources you're looking at a 3 channel mixer, and for something decent the price goes up.

Amazing that these mixers are that cheap they cost twice as much in Europe

Okay here's what I got. Again, price is not really a problem but size is, and that's why the xenyx 802 1002 or whatever were really not what I was interested in.

I got the Behringer MX400 and it works perfect. I run my setup in Mono, so I just choose to output from my S2 in mono from Traktor. One 1/4 to 1/4 patch cable to one of the inputs on the MX400 and then a 1/4 to XLR on my powered Mackie Thump.

I have 3 more inputs available to hook up another controller or an Ipod or whatever... again all in Mono. I'm using a single powered speaker so stereo isnt even an option anyways and there's the benefit of less cables to carry with me.

Anyhow this seems to work out really well and just thought I would pass the info along as it may help someone else. S2 + Mackie Thump is an awesome super portable setup for small house parties btw.