Xone Dx vs CDJ800s & DJM400???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Xone Dx vs CDJ800s & DJM400???

I want to take on Djing as a hobby, possibly professionally (kinda being forced into it, but hey, why not try it), if I enjoy it enough.

I narrowed it down to the following setups (based on what my friends will sell me):

My laptop, serato itch, and an allen & heath Xone DX controller (friend selling his to me for $350)..

OR

CDJ800 MK1s, DJM400 mixer, and serato/box (friend selling entire setup to me for $900)

OR some combination of the two?

What would you choose? I want something that, if I choose to continue professionally, will suffice for a while. CDJs interest me more for some reason, but Laptop Djing seems to be all over now. Any input appreciated, I need to choose and purchase this week!

Tech Mentor

nether the cdj setup is too outdated and the DJM 400 is CRAP. Serato Itch is just not happening. I would go the turntable route, pick up 800s and maybe an ecler nuo 2.0 and add traktor. Doesn't get more professional than that

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBass View Post
    nether the cdj setup is too outdated and the DJM 400 is CRAP. Serato Itch is just not happening. I would go the turntable route, pick up 800s and maybe an ecler nuo 2.0 and add traktor. Doesn't get more professional than that
    Nothing wrong with the CDJ or mixer setup, i dont know the value of the $ but thats a pretty decent deal,

"pick up 800s" what's that supposed to mean? DJM800? CDJ800's? some form of "800" turntable? "itch isnt happening" i know people who swear by itch over any controllerist software. "add traktor"? he has mentioned itch, or SSL, maybe he hasnt considered traktor but why are you telling him what to take ?

Who are you to make these statements?
    I think youve been brainwashed by the masses.

On topic: i would go with the the CDJ setup as i use a setup not far from that on a weekly basis. SSL is handy as well, but again your relying on a laptop (and i know from personal use that after using DVS you NEVER burn off new cd's )
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

xone dx, it's mega cheap, and will do everything the CDJs/DJM does. unless you want to do any scratching - the DX jogwheels are not touch sensitive

(and be serious with yourself. if you want to spin hip hop, then maybe scratching is more important. but over other music genre's I find that unless your James Zabiela, it tends to sound tacky... Obviously your mileage may varry, and there are exceptions to the rule. but yeah, just figure out whether or not you want to do any actual scratching, or whether a little cue point juggling will suffice)

Also, to be fair, i think that there's this unnecessary dichotomy between controllers and hardware. Considering most controllers are aiming for 1-to-1 mappings anyway, and a DVS aims to mimic the functions of 'traditional gear' anyway (or, incorporate digital function using 'traditional' controls), swapping between the two is more a question of learning a new button layout, and maybe having your tracks on your HDD vs a memory stick vs a book of CDs. (I'm inclined to say that if you're already familar with beat/phrase matching, even using traditional TTs after learning on a digital format shouldn't be THAT foreign feeling, but I LEARNED on TTs, so maybe my opinion is skewed.)

get the xone. It'll be a solid piece of gear that will be great to learn on, can do everything the 'traditional' set up can, supports 4 deck mixing, AND will save you a bunch of money you can put towards whatever, or just save.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    "pick up 800s" what's that supposed to mean? DJM800? CDJ800's? some form of "800" turntable? "itch isnt happening" i know people who swear by itch over any controllerist software. "add traktor"? he has mentioned itch, or SSL, maybe he hasnt considered traktor but why are you telling him what to take ?
    I actually have been using traktor with a cheap controller right now, but after researching the xone dx, it seems most people say itch works seamlessly with that specific controller, and sometimes traktor can have problems, even when mapped out... so that's why I decided if I got that controller I would use itch.

I was just leaning towards the CDJs/Mixer/SSL because I work in clubs and everyone seems to use a serato box.. so I just feel like since that's what they use, I should start with something similar.

Of course I know the equipment is nowhere near as high end. But I wanted to find a compromise between price and preparing myself for upgrades later.

Whats wrong with the DJM 400? I have one for my cdj setup..........works awesome!

Please explain.

I'd get the cdjs and a mixer.

Get right down to business.

Otherwise you'll have to consider a good laptop and a good sound card and what software to go with the soundcard.

Then deciding a controller that for feel is "unique" to you. and then a "unique" mapping.

CDJ+mixer
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Tech Guru

Get the CDJ's.

Truth is if you are going to play at a club (and you said you work in clubs) then play with what is most widely used/accepted and in the US that's SSL with either CDJ's or TT's. I have 400's as my personal set-up when I play on Saturday nights I play on CDJ-900's and a DJM-900 it's easy to just show up with me Serato box and timecode CD's.

Having said that. Im a big fan of Itch also. I would get the DX is all I wanted was to play music for friends, small parties, or a small lounge that required me to bring my own gear.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

How is one forced into DJing?

@OP: For that price, I'd probably get the CDJs if they're in good condition. Then turn around and sell the mixer and buy a real one unless you really want to keep Pioneer just so the EQs are similar to what's probably in the club you work in. But for that price, it's not horrible. Just make sure the CDJs aren't broken, because that price seems a bit low to me.

The DX will have a lot more capabilities than the CDJs, but that's not what you need when you're learning. Beatmatching isn't hard compared to not using the "possibilities" that are likely to drown you if you start on a xone:dx.

Quote Originally Posted by DjZzeless View Post
    Whats wrong with the DJM 400? I have one for my cdj setup..........works awesome!

Please explain.
    They're overpriced pieces of crap that were designed by blindfolded rodents and assembled by trained cockroaches.

By that…I mean there's nothing really wrong with it except that it's insanely overpriced. $550 for a 2-channel mixer with shitty effects and no balanced outputs? Please! The only reason it exists is that Pioneer has a ridiculous marketing budget and they figured out that they were missing out on sales by not having something that cost less than $1500.

It's nothing but a marketing gimmick.

I mean…I don't like the expensive Pioneer mixers either compared to their competitors, but $550 for that thing is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast