Can someone explain Traktor's audio settings to me?

Default Can someone explain Traktor's audio settings to me?

I couldn't find anything in the manual.

What is the Sample Rate, Process Buffer and USB buffer as in, what do they do, and how would it change the behaviour if I change them?

Also is it good that anything under 20ms is a decent amount of latency? Someone mentioned that in a previous thread of mine but I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm.

I've been using Traktor Pro for years, and was used to 5.9ms latency right out of the box with the Audio 2 DJ, but now that I got the S2, it seems to be much higher.

Tech Wizard

The buffers are small portions of memory that "buffer" the sound so the CPU can process it. Less buffers mean lower latency and increase CPU usage. The general idea with latency is finding your "sweet spot"-- the lowest point of latency before you start to hear problems.

Start with the smallest buffer setting possible and play a track or two, while playing with any effects that you might normally use in the course of a set. You'll likely hear audio pops and dropouts. Then move the buffer setting up to the next setting and try again. Continue until you find the buffer setting where you get no dropouts, and you've found your sweet spot.

I'd think that 20ms should be fine unless you're doing a lot of scratching and need very precise timing. Its like 6ms just for the sound to travel from the speakers to your ear. Mine's at 10.4ms (256) and its undetectable to me.
    -- 2 x Technics SL-1200, Numark DM950, Audio DJ 8, Dell Pentium M @1.4Ghz w/ 2G RAM, TSP 2
    -- Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Edirol PCR-1, Yamaha SU-10, Korg nanoKONTROL, Novation Launchpad, IBM ThinkPad Core-i3 @2.2Ghz w/ 4G RAM, TSP 2

Quote Originally Posted by echo.ranger View Post
    The buffers are small portions of memory that "buffer" the sound so the CPU can process it. Less buffers mean lower latency and increase CPU usage. The general idea with latency is finding your "sweet spot"-- the lowest point of latency before you start to hear problems.

Start with the smallest buffer setting possible and play a track or two, while playing with any effects that you might normally use in the course of a set. You'll likely hear audio pops and dropouts. Then move the buffer setting up to the next setting and try again. Continue until you find the buffer setting where you get no dropouts, and you've found your sweet spot.

I'd think that 20ms should be fine unless you're doing a lot of scratching and need very precise timing. Its like 6ms just for the sound to travel from the speakers to your ear. Mine's at 10.4ms (256) and its undetectable to me.
    Actually my latency is about the same as yours, so I guess it's not bad.