Scratching w/ VCI-100, Turntable FX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Scratching w/ VCI-100, Turntable FX

Anyone doing this? I don't know how to scratch anyways, but learning isn't easy, is anyone familiar with the turntable fx? Also it seems like the scratch sound is off, even when compared to software like ITCH, I know ITCH has specific hardware, but why does traktor do the job so badly with the VCI, but has good results with Scratch DVS?

Ed. I don't mean this to sound like I am looking to vent, just don't understand why the jog wheels and programming of traktor fail to imitate scratching, if anyone has had any luck with it would they please let me know.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 03-18-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Clarification

personally i think the scratching produced by the jogwheels sounds pretty good. maybe try reading up on scratch technique and try again.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Ya I Agree The Scratching On The Jog Wheel Works Pretty Good.....if Your Trying To Learn How To Scracht Then I Suggest That You Go Pick Up A Turn Table With Some Vinyls To Get A Real Feel For It

Interesting ... i'm using the vci-100 FW 1.2 with the new 1_7 tsi and i think the scratching is no where near the feel of a turntable or a cdj. I can sceratch a little bit , i'm no expert but can do the basics and make it sound ok, unfortunately though when using the VCI the sample doesnt seem to stick to a certain part of the jog wheel if you know what i mean.

Basically if i quickly moved the jog bacwards and forwards between 2 exact points i feel that teh sample will drift making it near impossible to scratch.

If i'm doing something wrong with settings etc then i woudl love to know as getting a good scratch feeling with the VCI would just make my day the vci would become to my house what the big god / jesus / whatever figure at the front of a church / place of worship / whatever is.

I hope someoen is going to come along and solution this for me , would make my day
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Wizard

yea i think if you want to learn scratching you have to star off with the real deal. i started with a controller and it just didnt work, now after i got my hands on turntables and knw at least a bit what its abaout it also works on midi controllers

now this is a topic for some fine article or vid, ain't that right?
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

not sure about a vid , maybe just an idea as to the best tsi for scratch purposes

edit ... infact scrap that maybe an idea of what settings to tweak to get it sorted for our own scratch styles or capabilities.

I see a jog wheel sensetivity thing on teh backl of the vci but is that just for how much you need to touch it before it registers your touchings
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I don't think you guys are reading the question right. I don't think he's talking about just scratching, but using the Turntable FX in the effect section for scratching.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

yeah, i'd really like to see some decent scratches on traktor!

i got a vci-300 and i can scratch a little bit, it works fine with itch (tbh i even think it's easier with itch than with real tt's - at least it's easer to learn and to track your moves) but when i switch to traktor the whole mess starts...

traktor slows down the track if you "let it go" - you scratch a bit and then lift your hands off, then traktor slows down a bit and then speeds up - it feels a bit like some crappy tt's (i know what i'm talking about - got some of them at home )

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

Tech Guru

@ Dvls I was kinda asking about both, but more about scratching than the turntable fx, sorry if I was unclear. I feel like the scratching sound is much too high pitched and also that the samples definitely do drift, is this due to the limitations of the midi signal coming from the jogwheel, I can understand some drift, but I feel like this is very profound and having used a vci-300 with itch (briefly) I don't recall seeing it much there. Is the VCI-100 using 16 bit midi now with traktor, if not can we get it to do so with bomes or something (I am very uneducated on this topic, hope I don't sound like an idiot).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast