Making consistent beat grids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making consistent beat grids

Hi

Problem: I always have to use the pitch blend in Traktor Pro to get tracks sounding in sync even though I create manual beatgrids.

I place the beatgrids on the kick drums. I saw Ean's excellent video on creating beatgrids in Traktor Pro and he recommended placing grids on the snares. Unfortunately, many of the techno tracks I have don't follow traditional drum patterns and don't have snares (or only have snares far into the track).

In the wave displays the the grids look fine to me. But, somehow the tracks don't automatically match up. I find it difficult to check them against the ticker, my ear for this isn't great (hence I want Traktor to sync my tracks).

Maybe the beatgrids aren't perfect but I don't know how to tell when they aren't from the wave display.

Can anyone help please? Thanks very much in advance.

i was just about to give advice about using ticker.. kinda confused how that can't help :eek: ..or actualy, have you tried manual tapping? maybe the problem lies that you have some weird bpm ranges.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by abid View Post
    I find it difficult to check them against the ticker, my ear for this isn't great (hence I want Traktor to sync my tracks).

Djing may not be the hobby you a looking for

M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Do the lines stay sync'd with the beats throughout the entire track?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

... in seriousness though i think you need to do it by ear with teh ticker you cant just look at the waveform as a lot of music doesnt have greatly defined beats to line up against and shows just a mass of colour you def need the ticketr and ears to do it then.

Honestly, Moley is right (more for his second comment, not for his first). You might want to take a few weeks and work on manually beat matching before diving into grids. Once you understand how it works grids will come that much easier.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tracktor dioes help you with manual beatmatching through as you get a visual representation of the fluctuation between two tracks, make sure this is on in options. (cant for teh life of me think whats its called .. someone help

As far as beatgridding i'm sure everyone does it different but this is what i do. Please note i hate writing any kind of tutorials due to the fact that i can never write what i'm thinking or for that matter say what i'm thinking prob why i get into so much trouble with the missus , so this will prob make no sense so if you need further clarification just ask.

beatgridding ..

1. Allow traktor to analyse the track but have the create beatgrid option off. Check teh bmp its assigned looks about right of half or twicce what it should be hit the x2 or /2 button to get correct bpm

2. find the first beat, doesnt have to be first just first decent clear clean beat.

3. Drop a cue

4. set a 1 beat loop at this cue point and turn on the ticker

5. play ... use the grid move left and right (the left set of arrows in grid section) to match up the ticker with the beat. I find that moving the grid one click at a time you will, at the sweet spot, kind of hear the ticker dissapear into the beat. The more you do this the better and faster you will get at this.

6. Now release the loop and let the track play on skip through the track making sure the beat and ticker don't fluctuate right out early on if its a solid track you should be able to skip to teh end and set another 1 beat loop right near the end of teh track and do the same as in previous step but usning the temp change arrows (right set of arrows in grid section)

7. Skip through checking the track is ok and is with the ticker at all points

8. If all ok lock the track with the padlock icon to stop the grid being changed.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Use The Phase Meter Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Use The Phase Meter Luke.
    hahahahaha thats the one

make sure your phase meter is on and also, one thing i was getting stuck with, make sure tracktor isnt auto beatgridding. You can check this as there should be no beatgrid marker in cue slot 1.

Using the phase meter as a visual representation should train the old ears for you maybe , hopefully

One tip i did see somewhere was that once you have one track nicely beatgridded you can use that and the phse meter to beatgrid another which kind if sounds better than using the ticker to me. Just never got round to trying it myself yet. Anyone else seen this anywhere? Might have been one of eans vids.. not sure.

Hope i'm helping in someway

G

I was thinkin about it

There are about 10 threads on this forum about making beat grids. A simple search will get them for you. I know I'm not going to add anything I haven't written in every one of those threads. As a head start

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ght=beat+grids
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...light=beatgrid
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast