Learning Your Tracks - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

personanlly i get my music in large budles and listen to it for 8 hours a day (this is at work for me) over and over again until i get more. generally i am able to choose the 'best' ones from that list and get rid of the ones i dont likie
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

I love magical mixes where the music takes you on a journey larger than the sum of it's parts. Problem is, the experience of creating a magical mix is very dull - Reach into your subconsious, choose a couple of bunches of related tracks (these three go together, these two layer nicely), slap tracks together make the transitions between the groups not suck. Most of the mixes are simple crossfades or mix-over-loop-until-the-drop-comes, once in a while there's a technical transition that requires careful rehearsal.

Only days after making the mix can you see whether it was a good one. At the time, while I'm doing it I have no idea.

Learning your tracks? Listening.

A lot. In the car, at home, at my work desk. I try to buy only a few tracks at a time and spend weeks working with just them, trying them with choice bits of my back catalog. I hate DJ mixes where it just this weeks tracks in some random order. Putting new tracks up against last years missed gems and unforgettable classics is where I am at right now.

Tech Convert

As I use public transportation, I find plenty of time on my hour ride to work n from work, or the random bus/train trips I take to go meet with friends or run errands. I usually copy new stuff over immediately over on to my PSP (it's bulky, but it gives me the option for games and movies too!), and listen to it several times to get a good feel. Then from there certain tracks will make it in to a regular rotation of either interesting things or stuff I am really digging on. This goes for both tracks I plan on using when spinning and any music in general. Hell I use this method for some of my school stuff as well... ha!!

Brian.Forge

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    yea I have noticed that when I get a lot of a songs at once I end up only using a few of them which is a bad thing, it is much better to get songs individually.
    i'll usually download a good amount of singles, albums, etc. and then go through and give each song a quick listen and generally filter out the ones that i don't like much. i'll usually rate 1-5 stars in itunes on how much i initially like a song and then throughout the week i'll give most of the 2 (or 3) - 5 stars a "real" listening

Tech Mentor

Album covers work wonders whether you can't remember the name, or the titles just seem like a blur when you need a specific song under a limited time.

Something that helped me learn songs when I was younger was dancing to it. Associating certain parts of the songs with different movements. I helped open my ears to different parts of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I buy music so quickly that I cycle through new music very swiftly unless it really grabs me, which these days seems to be rarer and rarer.
    I thought that I was pretty much the only one that thought that. (hea that sounded wierd)

Anyway it's true I seem to be going through tracks so quickly. Now with the creation of mp3 it seems that my choice of tracks has turned into a thought process of what I'm feeling at that point an time.

To really hang on to a track, to have it grab me and pull me in, is very very rare. I'm not sure if its the music being produced or the fact I'm to complacent with spending a buck 99 per track and just going threw web sites top 100. I remember when I would drop the cash for 7 vinyl. I would spend hours finding that one track, cuz I'll be damned if im spending 15 bucks on a track i'm not sure of. Then It would be months before I could affored 7 more. So I would go through those tracks over and over. They would become apart of me.

Ya know, I pretty much just stuck my foot in my mouth here. I need to stop focusing on "wooo hooo a buck 99" and just sit back and dig. Look for those tracks and learn it live it love it, again.

Now dont get me wrong I'm all about leraning the track.....lets face it people, what the point of placing that person on the dance floor in your head for an hour, if you dont even know what "your" trip is goin to be.
    "Music is the purest form of art... therefore true poets, they who are seers, seek to express the universe in terms of music... " "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." Quotes of wisdom...

Sometimes the task of selecting which tracks to use can be overwhelming, I usually get 30 to 40 tracks a month, some of them I will delete because, even if they are good, the don't fit my style. Too agressive, too slow... whatever... Having you own personal style of music helps a lot in the whole process, you know what kind of mood, what kind of beat progression you like so you choose those tracks that go along (if you are listening to that one track and at the same time you can imagine how "great" it would sound while you are in your pefect party then it might work).
    After choosing I do everything I can do with a track, first they will go thru Rapid Evolution to correct Tags, genre and everything, this way I start learning the track, after RE tracks go to Mix in Key to be able to have the keys written in the tags. Then it's all in Traktor, I make a monthly playlist with all the tracks I'm gonna work with that month, I will make the grids, make hot cues, specially loops, I will write down comments of how I feel the track (I don't use the genre option as a guide, think it feels better if i write something like dub techno, vocal deep house, fast, slow, anything that gives me a hint of the track, genres aren't a good guide right know).
    For the purpose of learning my tracks, I will take the monthly playlist as the one I will work with that month, repeat them once and again, mix between them and other favorite tracks I have... basically I'll only play with those tracks for 4 weeks. By the end of the month I usually have a somewhat clear idea of what's in that list so I can move on.

I think, as many people said before, mp3's give a lot of options to choose, but it can be stressing, having many good tracks doesn't mean they will sound good in your overall way of mixing. The more options you have the more "picky" you have to be.
    Music is communication, as any other form of creation.
    SoundCloud
    MBP 13", Traktor Pro, Presonus Firebox, Numark Stealth, Akai MPD-18, Behringer speakers.

Tech Wizard

its hard when u get 30 singles every week. I end up chucking 90% anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by mpc2323 View Post
    its hard when u get 30 singles every week. I end up chucking 90% anyway!
    i definitely end up keeping maybe 35-40% of what i download

Quote Originally Posted by nicolas View Post
    Sometimes the task of selecting which tracks to use can be overwhelming, I usually get 30 to 40 tracks a month, some of them I will delete because, even if they are good, the don't fit my style. Too agressive, too slow... whatever... Having you own personal style of music helps a lot in the whole process, you know what kind of mood, what kind of beat progression you like so you choose those tracks that go along (if you are listening to that one track and at the same time you can imagine how "great" it would sound while you are in your pefect party then it might work).
    After choosing I do everything I can do with a track, first they will go thru Rapid Evolution to correct Tags, genre and everything, this way I start learning the track, after RE tracks go to Mix in Key to be able to have the keys written in the tags. Then it's all in Traktor, I make a monthly playlist with all the tracks I'm gonna work with that month, I will make the grids, make hot cues, specially loops, I will write down comments of how I feel the track (I don't use the genre option as a guide, think it feels better if i write something like dub techno, vocal deep house, fast, slow, anything that gives me a hint of the track, genres aren't a good guide right know).
    For the purpose of learning my tracks, I will take the monthly playlist as the one I will work with that month, repeat them once and again, mix between them and other favorite tracks I have... basically I'll only play with those tracks for 4 weeks. By the end of the month I usually have a somewhat clear idea of what's in that list so I can move on.

I think, as many people said before, mp3's give a lot of options to choose, but it can be stressing, having many good tracks doesn't mean they will sound good in your overall way of mixing. The more options you have the more "picky" you have to be.
    very interesting and in depth. I will have to check out Rapid Evolution too (I'd never heard of that)
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast