VCI-300 as Sound Card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VCI-300 as Sound Card?

i purchased a new hp laptop, and i allready have a desktop PC setup with some midi gear and audio gear which i produce progressive/minimal with, i am getting the laptop mainly so i can start playing at the local gigs, with a midi controller/mixer like VCI-300 or Numark NS7, i am wondering, I still want to be able to produce tracks on the Laptop, Can i use the VCI-300 as a soundcard, like with ASIO, in my Sequencing Software or do i still need to have a Sound Card to pull this off...

The soundcard on the VCI-300 isnt that great a quality at all - like all of these inbuilt soundcards in most of these devices, they are cheap and nasty.

Your much much much better off getting yourself a proper soundcard like say the Presonus Firebox.

Thats exactly what i am going to do, but if what you say is True then their is no point in me getting the VCI-300, i might as well get the VCI-100 with a good sound card...what do you use?, i was wondering what kinda Track Scrolling functions the 100 has, i really want the Numark NS7 but all in all Traktor Pro is my favorite DJ performance software and getting NS7 or VCI-300 i would have to use serato and trying to go back to traktor with those would be too hard...i am really at a dilema on what i should Buy, if you have some professional advice that would help, i plan on performing Live with laptop and midi controller such as 100, But what really is my Best Choice??....if we put Money Aside...

I wouldnt buy a NS7 unless your planning to do turntablism techniques - even then the platters are a little small for doing advanced turntabism techniques.

What kind of mixing do you see yourself doing to begin with ? You can see a pic of what im using in the first post of the "Show your setup thread" - im using an arcade button controller, a VCI-100 and a stanton dascratch. My soundcard is a Presonus firebox - my cheaper setup and smaller setup gives the NS7 a big run for its money in everything else other than the pitch faders and jogs.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 03-19-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibling View Post
    i was wondering what kinda Track Scrolling functions the 100 has
    native it has buttons that act like an scroll up or scroll up and then another set of buttons to load deck a and load deck b.

you could also modify the mapping so you use a jogwheel to scroll through tracks if you wanted to.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

thanks for the help guys, as far as what i plan on doing bento, mostly i want to mix my own tracks together, But i use to be a turntabelist, scratching and all the sorts, till my mixer broke down on my old Stanton set, i really like the feal of vynl for scratching and sorts, but with the style of music i wont need scratching much, just good Mixing functions...but now that i see the NS7 i love everything about it except the fact i gotta use Serato which has no FX .......so i really gotta think hard before i make my purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Sibling View Post
    thanks for the help guys, as far as what i plan on doing bento, mostly i want to mix my own tracks together, But i use to be a turntabelist, scratching and all the sorts, till my mixer broke down on my old Stanton set, i really like the feal of vynl for scratching and sorts, but with the style of music i wont need scratching much, just good Mixing functions...but now that i see the NS7 i love everything about it except the fact i gotta use Serato which has no FX .......so i really gotta think hard before i make my purchase
    This is one device i am not sure were going to be able to hack to work with Traktor... however that does remain to be seen. If i could get one to play with for just an hour or something i think i would figure out the answer to this.

If your not going to be doing much scratching i wouldnt recommend the NS7 - you will be able to do more for less money, a smaller more portable setup if you choose to go in other directions. The NS7 is just tries to mimic a couple of turntables. Really in this day and age there arnt that many advantages to having a pair of jogs other than turntablism scratch techniques. Juggling can be done better and with a smaller footprint using midi controllers.

Another really imporant thing to take into consideration is the fact that you should take into serious consideration is that nowadays djing is fiercely compedative, id argue that there are now more djs than there ever have been. So you need something thats going to set you apart from the competition if you want to do well as a DJ. Sadly using the NS7 and Serato there isnt going to be a whole lot that you can do that is going to help set you apart from the rest of the other djs. Also there are alot of production techniques that you may have learnt from producing that you can now utilise in the digital domain. However using the NS7 along with the Serato Itch is far from an ideal choice of software thats going to allow you to utilise these skills you may have picked up along the way.

So while it looks like very fancy device if turntablism isnt the bred and butter of your mixing then there are other software and hardware controllers setups that are going to allow you do to go into uncharted territory as opposed to wading around the shallow end of the swimming pool that has already been done to death.

thanks man, yea i have allready ruled out the NS7, i am thinking about the Numark Stealth Controll, but i dont want somthing that looks like a toy, maby i wont get gigs with it, same with the VCI-100, i dont know... i just wana be shure that i dont get laughed at and they dont let me set up my gear, i have everything in place, just gotta get a midi controller for live setup, my boy DJ-D-Lerius is gonna get me in the scene here in Phoenix AZ, i just gotta make the best choice, right now if anything its between the Numark Stealth Control Or VCI-100 black edition, i know VCI is a better choice because of the strong Build, Stealth control also has a metal chasy.....wut would you suggest??!!

Tech Mentor

well said Bento!
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Who cares what your gear looks like- as long as you can rock the **** out on it and put on a good show thats whats important!

Ill take practicality and usability over looks any day of the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast