opinion on entry level cdj's
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default opinion on entry level cdj's

im looking at a pair of stanton c.324, or numark ndx 400's

any opinions on these?

i dont have pioneer money

For entry level DJ's, entry level gear is FINE.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by no_rex4u View Post
    im looking at a pair of stanton c.324, or numark ndx 400's

any opinions on these?

i dont have pioneer money
    Don't waste your money IMO. Cheap CDJs are pretty worthless in my experience. I would look around for some used deals on pioneer 400s, 800s or denon CDJs. Anything other than pioneer or denon is a waste of money and will just be a source of frustration.

Tech Wizard

I'd have to agree with Xonetacular, I did the same thing with turntables and ended up frustrated and spent more money by buying two sets of decks before I went for 1200's.

I see pairs of CDJ100's on the bay going for about £150 sometimes or at a push you'll find some 200's for maybe £350 if you hunt hard.
    Keep an eye on gumtree too-cash bargains to be had on there!!!
    Pair EKS OTUS, Akai MPD32, Vestax DJ6000M, JBL Control 10's, HP G70 (6GB RAM-Pentium Dual 2.27GHZ-Windows 7 64bit)

DJ at www.flybasedj.co.uk

I wouldn't even go with CDJ-100s or 200s, they are annoying. Look on craigslist for deals on 800s, 400s, or some of the denon stuff.

Tech Mentor

right now im using my VMS4, and i keep debating if i want to go to CDj's or not

Tech Guru

I used to have the stanton c324s and they where pretty good small screen so less feedback however are realiable and load cds pretty quickly

+1 for 400s as starter gear. Added bonus of running USB connect to your computer for proper Traktor control / midi keybinds.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

All cheap CDJs suck. There's no question in my mind about that. The problem with me giving recommendations is that I think "cheap" encompasses everything except the CDJ-2000.

The reason I don't own CDJ-2000s is because there's nothing out there that isn't so cheap it's annoying or really expensive.

It's about price, IMHO. If you can find a pair that isn't overpriced, they'll be fine.

My CDJ-200s were the biggest gear mistake I've made, hands down. They were not worth $400 each new, especially when you consider that they were basically worthless when I sold them. Unfortunately, I feel that way about most CDJs.

Those stantons are $300/each on amazon. I thin that's a little high for them, but it's not too terrible. Just be aware that it'll be a sunk cost. The fact that Guitar Center is selling used ones for $250ish does not mean that you'll get anywhere near that when you're ready to sell. Whatever you're going to spend, if it's not a high-end Pioneer deck, expect to throw them away when up upgrade unless you just get lucky.

My recommendation is to go to a Guitar Center (or something like it) and at least feel whatever they have, starting with the CDJ-2000. Then go to one of the cheapest ones they have. You should feel a difference, but you may not. If you don't, that's cool…you'll save some money.

Then figure out what you're willing to spend for what kind of feel and features…and find the decks that match it best.

I'd say that it's worth sacrificing features for quality except that the features that I think should be the first things to go are only included in budget decks: there's no reason a CDJ should have built-in effects. They all sound like crap. Frankly, I feel that way about mixers too, but I've accepted that no one agrees with me except for some of the nicer mixer makers (vestax, rane, formula sound, E&S, rodec, alpha, etc.).

I also hate Stanton as a company. They keep making things that I'd kinda like to use, but I don't know if I could actually bring myself to give them money after what they did with FS2 and their NI partnership.

In short…there's a reason that people on a budget go with controllers. You could get a lot of very nice controller rigs for the cost of one good CDJ.

Tech Wizard

Rein it in people. The OP asked for opinions on CDJ's on a budget. I thought I might have been pushing it by recommending the CDJ 100/200.
    Then recommendations for 400's and even CDJ2000's-the most expensive deck Pioneer sell, a pair of which will probably set you back £2000 minimum :eek:

"cheap" encompasses everything except the CDJ-2000

So what of the 1000mk3, industry standard in thousands of clubs world wide and respected by every DJ know to man? Plus the CDJ 900's oozing features and quality.

The OP is clearly after entry level CD decks and while the more basic Pioneers may be lacking features and are getting on a bit, they are still perfectly viable at entry level (and beyond) and on the secondhand market they hold their value better than any other brand I've seen.
    Pair EKS OTUS, Akai MPD32, Vestax DJ6000M, JBL Control 10's, HP G70 (6GB RAM-Pentium Dual 2.27GHZ-Windows 7 64bit)

DJ at www.flybasedj.co.uk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast