Ableton DJ'ing.... OMG.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ableton DJ'ing.... OMG.

So I've ordered a new APC40 (ordered from the USA no less, it works out £145 cheaper even with shipping to the UK) so thought I'd get into DJ'ing with Ableton. I started on vinyl about 10 years ago and now use Traktor as my DVS of choice. Gave Ableton a spin tonight after a quick look on the new tutorial (never to late to learn) videos on Sonic Academy and I'm blown away.

I no longer play out as much anymore as my new position at work means I'm always away and often at short notice but I do enjoy making mixtapes and mashups.... which is so easy and (more importantly) fun in Ableton. Especially when I don't have my 1210's and mixer handy.

Not much of a question or informative post I know, I'm just über excited about this!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

One day or the other i will give a shot at Ableton Live, once i got my own tracks that i can "destroy" to play them live in another way.
    Not in the 5 next years. ahaha

wheres you find these tutorials on djing in ableton? ive wanted to kinda learn how to do it but never really found any good info on it beyond the super basics

Quote Originally Posted by Nikla View Post
    wheres you find these tutorials on djing in ableton? ive wanted to kinda learn how to do it but never really found any good info on it beyond the super basics
    sonicacademy.com

did you take import tax into account?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayzee View Post
    sonicacademy.com
    just checked it out.. is their stuff worth the subscription? they kinda seem to have what I want but you never know if its worth it or not...

there's a lot of information on abletonlivedj.com, but I'm going to be a dick and basically say that if you don't see things that you want to do with Live based on a general understanding of the interface…you'll probably find it more frustrating than awesome.

The APC cost me $290 dollars including shipping. That's about £190 I think. New in the UK, they sell for £329. That's a massive saving even if import tax is like £50.

As for Sonic Academy, it's worth it if your going to put the time in and learn what they are trying to teach you rather than blindly copying what they're doing. It won't make you into a superstar producer overnight, but if you follow their tutorials, especially the "How To Make" guides, you will learn an awful lot. I consider myself "Ableton savvy" but it's surprising how much of the basics you sometimes forget. Sonic Academy pretty much taught me music theory, and I would highly recommend their guides for anyone getting into producing.

It's now 0335 in the morning, and I should really stop playing with Ableton and get to sleep!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

^^ thanks for the input on sonicacademy, i signed up yesterday and was just about to have a look around and see if the subscription was worth it.

Nice one on the APC though.

This is the next step I want to take, think I'm going to make it my new years resolution!
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast