Track Collection vs. iTunes node
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Track Collection vs. iTunes node

Ok. Here it goes.

I am one of those that hates iTunes for music managing, but after reading a few threads on watching some youtube vids on "Smart Playlists" and I am considering taking the plunge.

To get a little more familiarized with the Traktor/iTunes compatibility, I created a second iTunes library to do some testing. (BTW, this is all with a Mac)

I pointed Traktor 2.1.1 to the new iTunes library for testing.

So I imported three albums and created a smart playlist.

I can now see the playlists and tracks in Traktor (within iTunes node). I loaded two tracks, one to Deck A and the other to Deck B.

Now, in the iTunes node, it shows both tracks in my Traktor collection, as it should. I analyzed, set beat-grid's and locked the BPM on both tracks.

This is the part I can't figure out....

In the iTunes node, it will not show the BPM of the track, but it does in the Traktor collection. I tried "Check Consistency", refreshed iTunes node, open/closed Traktor and it still does not show in the BPM in the smart playlist in the iTunes node.

How can I get this to work?? Am I doing something wrong here?

There is no point of using playlist in iTunes node, if I can't see the BPMs.

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

One, iTunes might be best option for music management, since its integrated into all DJ software. If tomorrow, you decided to switch to another piece of software, what are you going to do? Rebuild those playlist from scratch, or import them from iTunes.

Two, I suggest only using iTunes node, to load your playlist in Traktor and finding songs that are not in your Traktor Collection. Once your songs are loaded in Traktor, then you will see all the info you need. The node is only really for reference, since Traktor has its own management software independent of iTunes.
    MBP i5 13", NI Z2, 2x NI X1, 2x NI F1s, NI Audio 8, A&H K2, Rane 2016, 2x 1210MK2e, 2x CDJ-400s, RMX-1000, NI S8, MBA 11"

You need to have your BPM detected by an additional piece of software.

I'd recommend beaTunes since it can do other things as well, but any other software that updates the ID3 tag with the BPM will suffice.

There was a decent discussion here, as I use iTunes 100% for my playing: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39210

Note: I do not use the Traktor collection to play with.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    You need to have your BPM detected by an additional piece of software.

I'd recommend beaTunes since it can do other things as well, but any other software that updates the ID3 tag with the BPM will suffice.

There was a decent discussion here, as I use iTunes 100% for my playing: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39210

Note: I do not use the Traktor collection to play with.
    Doesn't Traktor do this? I have analyzed the track and set beatgrids.

If I am understanding correctly, Traktor does not update the BPM ID3 tag?
    or the Traktor Collection BPM field is not the same as the ID3 BPM field?
    Last edited by papo; 12-02-2011 at 11:09 AM.

The only quirk I encounter is...

Let's say I get a new track. Load into iTunes. Doesn't have BPM. Load into Traktor, analyze, shows BPM. iTunes still doesn't show the BPM.

I don't know why.

If I ever have to *2 or /2 the BPM, it then seems to update iTunes correctly. I typically get files in groups at a time, so I just run it through beaTunes first to do it en masse.

Again, I don't know why I have to take the additional / arbitrary step, but it works for me. Possibly a mis-diagnosis on my part, but it is what it is.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    The only quirk I encounter is...

Let's say I get a new track. Load into iTunes. Doesn't have BPM. Load into Traktor, analyze, shows BPM. iTunes still doesn't show the BPM.

I don't know why.

If I ever have to *2 or /2 the BPM, it then seems to update iTunes correctly. I typically get files in groups at a time, so I just run it through beaTunes first to do it en masse.

Again, I don't know why I have to take the additional / arbitrary step, but it works for me. Possibly a mis-diagnosis on my part, but it is what it is.
    This is exactly what is happening to me.

It kind of sucks, but oh well. I wish Traktor would update those tags after it has the BPM.

itunes does not automatically reread the metadata on a file. Once you load a track into Traktor and have it determine the BPM, you have to "play" that track in itunes for itunes to read the new BPM metadata. My work flow is as such...Make playlist in itunes, import playlist and tracks into Traktor, analyze tracks in Traktor, set load, cue and grid markers, lock BPM in Traktor, in itunes I then click each track in the playlist. You should see it update the metadata in itunes if you're showing the BPM in the browseer. Hope this helps.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    itunes does not automatically reread the metadata on a file. Once you load a track into Traktor and have it determine the BPM, you have to "play" that track in itunes for itunes to read the new BPM metadata. My work flow is as such...Make playlist in itunes, import playlist and tracks into Traktor, analyze tracks in Traktor, set load, cue and grid markers, lock BPM in Traktor, in itunes I then click each track in the playlist. You should see it update the metadata in itunes if you're showing the BPM in the browseer. Hope this helps.
    Awesome. Thanks! I am going to try this when I get home.

I wonder if the script completej provided me with, in the thread that he posted up above, will does this automatically, to where I do not need to click on each individual song to have the tags updated.
    Last edited by papo; 12-02-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by papo218 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks! I am going to try this when I get home.

I wonder if the script completej provided me with, in the thread that he posted up above, will does this automatically, to where I do not need to click on each individual song to have the tags updated.
    Select all the tracks in iTunes, right click, get info, edit one of the fields. I usually just put a space in composer or some field I don't use. Click ok, done, all will be updated with BPM.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Select all the tracks in iTunes, right click, get info, edit one of the fields. I usually just put a space in composer or some field I don't use. Click ok, done, all will be updated with BPM.
    Thanks man this worked for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast