First ever dubstep track (comments please)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Arrow First ever dubstep track (comments please)

Please Rate and Comment, Criticism is HIGHLY Appreciated

Tech Wizard

Not too bad, it's got an amateur feel to it....you know what I mean?
    I'm diggin it though, and it's better than anything I can make
    Just wondering, what program did you use?
    ***2 Stanton c314 CDJs, 1 Behringer DJX750 Mixer, 2 Gemini XL-500 II Direct Drive Turntables, Sony Bass Boost Headphones, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-501 Digital Piano, Traktor Scratch Duo 2, And the Willingness to learn and look stupid ***

Tech Mentor

Abelton is my daw and I use komplete 6 for my instruments. Timestretch by bassnectar was my inspiration.

you need to work on the mix.. the drums are far behind the bassline, you need to really beef them up and the track will sound much better. The kick is almost silent, try to layer and eq some bass heavy and sharp kicks together to form one usable kick.

Tech Mentor

Yeah i noticed that too, I am in process of fattening them up. Thanks for giving it a listen! ps do you recommend side-chaining the kicks to the sub or to the entire track so you can really hear it punch?
    Quote Originally Posted by the4thImpulse View Post
    you need to work on the mix.. the drums are far behind the bassline, you need to really beef them up and the track will sound much better. The kick is almost silent, try to layer and eq some bass heavy and sharp kicks together to form one usable kick.

Quote Originally Posted by dylooooon View Post
    Yeah i noticed that too, I am in process of fattening them up. Thanks for giving it a listen! ps do you recommend side-chaining the kicks to the sub or to the entire track so you can really hear it punch?
    thats something should mess around with, try diffrent cobinations, even make a seperate sidechain kick to create diffrent sidechained patterns.

It sounds good, but i agree the kicks and snares need more. also if you have any sample packs try adding something simple to the end of an 8 bar phrase to signal a turn around. its awesome for a first song definitely you are on your way! One last thing, mess around with some pads or something to add some depth to your rises and to add just a hint of background noise to the mix as a whole. Nice Track bro!

Quote Originally Posted by dylooooon View Post
    maybe im reading this backwards or you said it that way and im confused. but you dont sidechain your kick. you would sidechain your bass to your kick, which will make the bass duck the kick so you can hear the kick better.

Because this is dubstep i dont think thats a sound you really want

I think your issue is different. your kick just isn't good enough. (not being harsh, you can spend hours finding/perfecting the right kick)

do this
    Quote Originally Posted by the4thImpulse View Post
    add some compression to the kick too. not so much that it looses its punch

do the same with the clap and add reverb to make it fatter
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

Tech Mentor

here's the remaster, please let me know what else it needs

nice, snare/clap is much better
    and the kick is improved (im on headphones so its tough to get a good feel)

bass sounds heavier too. do some eq'ing/mastering?
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast