I don't know which serial device to choose

Default I don't know which serial device to choose

Hello all,
    I'm trying to install the firmware on my vci-100. Everything goes fine until i need to choose which device to use. I have no idea which device to choose. There are about 20-30 devices in the list so I really don't want to select each one to figure it out. Not to mention that I don't know what shooting first and asking questions later will do. I wish the directions for updating the firmware were more in depth. I guess I'm just a big noob

Please if anyone can tell me how to figure out which device to select I will be very grateful.

BTW I have a serial to serial cable (not usb-serial) I don't know if that makes any difference.

Thank you so much I really can't wait to start using this.

TB

Tech Mentor

Hi Contractcooker,

get it done yet?
    If not, which list do you mean exactly?
    Give me a example to help you out.

Tech Wizard

I think he's talking about within the program that flashes (Renesas??) there is a drop-down list that has LOTS of choices. Is that right ContractCooker?

Tech Mentor

In that case,

heres what to pick in the software under "select the device you wish to use..."

pick the entry with(H8/300H h8/3052F 1_2_00) as illustrated below:

Type________Full Name_____Kernel Version____Info
    H8/300H_____h8/3052F_____1_2_00______

on the drop down it is the h8/3052f
    I used serial to serial and it worked perfect. the program had picked up the com port my serial was conected to. change the speed to 24 (it is currently at 25.000) just type 24. click next untill you get the last screen drag and drop the firmware or browse what ever is your thing.
    turn on the vci, if it lights up.....you suck..start over cuz it shoudnt do that. press flash and bam!!! your upgraded homie

serial to serial WILL work. dont change anything. if you have usb/serial thats different. but you dont. run it as is.

peace
    "Music is the purest form of art... therefore true poets, they who are seers, seek to express the universe in terms of music... " "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." Quotes of wisdom...

hey,

I have now tried to upgrade firmware with both a usb to serial and a serial to serial, the outcome is near enough always 15024: boot failed. I do have the problem where my lights do come on when in boot mode sometimes they dont but alot of the time they do (different combinations of lights too), however even when they have not been on the outcome is always the same. Iv had my vci for a year and a half now and i have traveled about with it quite a bit, do you think it could just be broken seeing as it clearly doesnt like staying in boot mode, or is there another solution?? please please help as iv been sat here for hours now and its start to make wanna throw it out the window along with my 2 computers sat next to it!!

thanks in advance,
    Antoine