mixing on the fly
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default mixing on the fly

does anyone here ever not use a set list? or does anyone ever find that randomely mixing songs in your library is a decent way to practice?

It's the ONLY way to practice!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

it should be the only way to practice, because guess what, tens of 1000's of other dj's have the exact same tracks as you have and 99% of them only choose tracks based on key and bpm, If you want to be individual and have an identity in djing you need to get away from formulas, that's not to say you should try and use as many effects as squarepusher or aphex twin and make weird shit, but you should get a good knowlege of your tracks, and how they fit together without worrying about the key.

And yes you can mix a set without a playlist, that is what versus sets are about, atleast they used to be..
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I rarely use a tracklist but I don't picks random songs either.

never used a set list before... tho i've always had certain mini groups of tracks (like 2,3 or 4) that i know mix one into the other very well and i have specific ways of doing it. whether or not i *would* mix into the next tho would depend on whether or not it seemed the right track to play next given the feedback from the people there ofc. maybe you could play from a set list when just streaming online or something but not when you've got live people responding (or not) to what you are playing. if only ever using a fixed list u might as well go the whole hog and use mixmeister anyway
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    never used a set list before... tho i've always had certain mini groups of tracks (like 2,3 or 4) that i know mix one into the other very well and i have specific ways of doing it. ...
    same here..

might be interesting: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30476
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

mixing on the fly all the time (even most of my mixtapes are on the fly and mostly without even knowing the tracks well). keeps you busy and concentrated and you learn to know your tracks better
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Guru

(1) listen to music and know your music inside and out
    (2) try mixing randomly, you might find something that works (I do that sometimes just messing around and find somethings that work out really well)
    (3) When you find something that works put a comment in the tracks that have the name of the tracks they transition well into so then when youre mixing if you cant think of another song to transition into then you have those there

This question gets asked on this forum all the time. Check out some of the responses to some of the other threads.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Using set list only for podcast, becouse want to share my favourits.
    But mostly i'm mix on the fly...
    SoundCloud
    Mixcloud
    Progression on TFB-Radio
    Pioneer CDJ-100, Pioneer DJM-250, Technics RP-DH1200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast