Any good for first mix?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any good for first mix?

I did my first mix kinda just messing around with Virtual DJ .. I was just wondering if anyone could take 10 mins out of their time and just critique my mix .. I don't really like the transition from the 3rd song into the last song, but just lemme know any opinions.
    Like I said I know it's probably bad, but it's really my first true attempt. Any feedback is great feedback in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1PrD...ature=youtu.be

I'm not into electro house that much, but what I can say on it...

First transition had a phrasing problem, work on lining up your phrases, it generally goes 8 bars (32 beats) or 16 bars (64 beats) with the odd break here and there...The second transition sounds out of phase slightly...try to line the beatgrids (I assume that you are using sync or virtual dj's equivalent) up a bit tighter. Also be aware of harmonic sensibilities...what I mean is that you really want to try to stay somewhat harmonically "right" (I like to stay within 3 on the circle of fifths or the camelot wheel) it will help you out with longer blends. The last transition wasn't too bad, again work on getting things phrased properly, and I appreciate that you were working some effect trick, but really the best advice that you can get is to learn to blend and eq first and then work the effect based transitions into the arsenal...

Overall you did very very well for a first mix. You should just keep on hammering away at it, you have some potential to my eyes
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

I liked song choice, the phase wasnt too bad, some spots were off, try working in abit more eq, because there were some conflicting frequency. But over all i liked the song choice and i liked the effects.

thank you guys, any other feedback?

Tech Student

I liked it dude, I have must admit I don't really mix etc well not yet trying to get hold of a Midi controller atm! But sounded good, like the guys said, the transitions were a little off, but I mean, I enjoyed listening to it

Keep up the good work! hope to join you soon and keep the mixes coming

thanks, and to respond earlier .. this was using Virtual DJ ... i doubt u could even set up beatgrids in vdj.

Tech Student

Wasn't hatin' and neither were other two. They were just giving criticism!

oh no, i never said anyone was hatin, believe me .. I know im a noob and probaby 99% of the people on here are better than I .. i was just saying that i don't even think u can set up beatgrid in Virtual DJ

^^ so does anyone know if u can set up a beatgrid in VDJ?

Tech Guru

Dont think you can but you have the sync and the first and third beat are marked with a bigger square so you can find them easily. Not too many VDJ users on here I dont think or at least havent seen too many, but thats what I can tell you from my personal experience with virtual dj which I used before I got equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast