Start of my DJ career?
    Tech Convert

Default Start of my DJ career?

Ok a little background on myself first.

I'm 21 years old in the US Military stationed in Turkey. I'm from NYC and have been totally in love with NYC house, been sneaking into clubs since I was 16. I recently just bought a denon dn mc 6000 and have been practicing mixing for a few weeks now. I've only been mixing tech house/house/ minimal since thats my love.

In a few weeks myself and another guy in my unit will be DJ'ing our holiday party. I'm guessing its mostly top 40/hip hop type stuff and thats cool, we'll be using his music selection. I dont really consider it much of a gig since he'll be on my controller most of the time, and i'm cool with that.

Today my supervisor just told me about an oppurtunity to DJ at a skate event that youth center is going to be putting on here on base. He said I could possibly get paid for it. I'm not sure what type of music the guy who's organizing the thing is expecting, i'll have some more details tomorrow. The thing i'm unsure about is that most of my music is EDM, and some old school hip hop/r&b. If the guy doesnt want EDM then i think i'm screwed. I've only been practicing with house music, i dont know how to mix hip hop or anything else. What would you do? I like the idea of having an actual gig, doing it for the military brats here on base and maybe even getting paid for it, i'm just a little scared that the music that i'm gunna be spinning isnt really my style and that i dont know how to mix it.

Any input would be great thank you

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

While the idea of accepting gigs slightly outside of your comfort level is mostly okay imo, I think this may be a bit of a stretch.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by psounds View Post
    In a few weeks myself and another guy in my unit will be DJ'ing our holiday party. I'm guessing its mostly top 40/hip hop type stuff and thats cool, we'll be using his music selection. I dont really consider it much of a gig since he'll be on my controller most of the time, and i'm cool with that.
    This is oportunity for you to practice with that kind of music and on your controller
    And maybe that guy can also give you advice.
    SoundCloud
    Mixcloud
    Progression on TFB-Radio
    Pioneer CDJ-100, Pioneer DJM-250, Technics RP-DH1200