Question about timecode vinyl
    Tech Wizard

Default Question about timecode vinyl

Ok, hi all, new to DJing as well as the forums. I have a question about timecoded vinyl. As far as the data encoded on the vinyl themselves, does the system know where the needle is on the record by reading the data directly under the needle as well as the previous location or does it know where the needle is based solely on the data under the needle? I don;t that sounds very clear. Like, if you dropped the needle in the middle of the record and started spinning it, would it know its in the middle, or if the needle jumps? Or is it purely forward and backwards? The reason I ask is that I do a lot of Christian Marclasy-esque vinyl cut-ups (ex: http://soundcloud.com/zachcollins/se...tled-piece-for ) and was wondering if this would be possible with a DVS system.

Another question I have (assuming this would in fact work) is would it be possible to record the audio output of timecoded vinyl, cut it up in an editor, play it back and route that audio into a DVS system?

I know these aren't typical typical DJTT questions (not exactly DJing either) but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Also, sorry about how incoherent this is, I stayed up all night drinking and trying to fix a TT I found on the street and now I'm in the middle of a 10 hour shift at work. My brain is essentially fried.

Tech Mentor

if i understand you correctly, you can play a song on a dvs and if you move the needle to the middle of the record it will play the middle of the song you choose in relation to if it was a real record of that song, basically exactly how a real record works, or you can change it (in torq they call it absolute or relative mode) so where ever you put the needle on the record it will play the song from the beginning

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Steeevo View Post
    if i understand you correctly, you can play a song on a dvs and if you move the needle to the middle of the record it will play the middle of the song you choose in relation to if it was a real record of that song, basically exactly how a real record works, or you can change it (in torq they call it absolute or relative mode) so where ever you put the needle on the record it will play the song from the beginning
    That is exactly what I meant, thank you.

(1) did you fix the TT? (2) vinyl cutup would probably work with DVS but I'm not sure how it would work; I suppose you could cut up two traktor DVS records for example and mis-match the grooves and then play in absolute mode to get the sense of the needle jumping around. The problem is I don't think you will get what you want which seems to be to have two different tracks cut and spliced together - instead the needle will play through different parts of the same track. Not sure if there's a way around that (but maybe that will work for you?)
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Absolute mode does that, but it does it with some degree of latency. The DVS system processes the audio coming off the record to determine an absolute position, but it doesn't do it instantaneously.

If it's getting a continuous signal (i.e., scratching) then it's really good at determining the absolute position quickly. If you do something like feeding it a cut-up time-code signal or–more simply–hitting a hot cue on a CDJ (not a Traktor hot cue) to jump to some other place in the time code…it takes a little while to figure out where it is. It's quick, but it's not instantaneous.

It basically makes the raw hot cues on CDJs useless, so I'm not sure that you're going to get good results out of it…but it will do what you ask.

I'm not quite sure what you're wanting to accomplish with a cut-up, but I think that some kind of wav editor (Audacity, or any DAW) will give you better results. Plus, the edits would be nondestructive. But I could be misinterpreting what you're wanting to do.

Tech Mentor

Timecode is just a signal, there isn't really much data other than time. It syncs the timing on the file with the timing of the code which enables scratching and cueing because it locks on to wherever you are in the file or it can be set to be exactly like vinyl so if you move the needle it will go to that spot according to the time on the file. The whole purpose is to use the timecode vinyl to control the file the exact same way as if that track was actually printed on the vinyl. It really wouldn't make sense to cut up that signal, just edit the track itself.

Timecode has been used in video editing for years and it still is because it will burn that time on a track on the videotape and enable frame accurate editing. It would be very messy and very confusing to start changing the time out of sequence like making 04:30 come before 02:30.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 12-04-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for you help guys. I was able to at least get a proof of concept working. Its really noisy and abstract, but then again its a proof of concept and more of an art project than an actual musical composition. You can see it here if you're interested: http://yoga4dogs.tumblr.com/post/137...mulation-first Also, the blurb I wrote about it is not specifically intended for DJs or even computer musicians so its not very technical and everything is in layman's terms.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_emulation_software"]Vinyl emulation software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Quote Originally Posted by WEEDNIRVANA View Post
    Thanks for you help guys. I was able to at least get a proof of concept working. Its really noisy and abstract, but then again its a proof of concept and more of an art project than an actual musical composition. You can see it here if you're interested: http://yoga4dogs.tumblr.com/post/137...mulation-first Also, the blurb I wrote about it is not specifically intended for DJs or even computer musicians so its not very technical and everything is in layman's terms.
    Yeah man, that's cool! It's like circuit bending a DVS system. Obviously early stages, but you might be able to get some really interesting sounds with more experimentation.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    did you fix the TT?
    Partially. It did nothing when I found it, now it plays and the platter spins, albeit at what seems like around 100 rpm. No idea why, may just end up taking the belt off.