Rekordbox?

Thread: Rekordbox?

Tech Mentor

Default Rekordbox?

Hello!
    Here's the thing:
    I DJ at different places all the time, now .. some of them have like 2000 players, some have 400 players, if i sort my music through rekordbox on two usb sticks, can i still play them on the 400'ds?

Note: I know that the CDJ 400's doesn't have rekordbox support, but will i still be able to play the music thats on the USB stick or do i need 2 separate sticks for the 400 players?

Thanks!
    - MPB 15" & 13" - S4 - X1 - HDJ 500 & 1000. -

I can't answer your question but at the places with 2000s you should really only need one USB stick, they'd be crazy not to have them linked.

Yeah. Rekordbox adds metadata. It's easy enough to just not read the metadata.

On the other hand, USB sticks are cheap. How much music are you trying to carry? 16GB sticks are about $10-$20 on Amazon. Buy 8 of them and some utility to keep them in sync (OS X comes with several, including rsync and dd) and you'll easily be able to have 4 prepared with Rekordbox and 4 just raw music organized into folders (or however you want to do it) for about the cost of 2-weeks worth of a working DJ's music budget from 10 years ago. Just put stickers on them or something so you know what's what.

If I were routinely playing places that had USB-enabled CD players in the booth, I'd carry a handfull of USB keys if only as a backup. Considering how badly a lot of live sound guys think of DJ gear and how little regard some bars give their DJ booths, I'm not sure I'd trust CDJs to be linked unless I were playing a festival or a really big night.

$80-$160 is damn cheap for a backup system that robust. You can't get an iPhone for that.

And if you're playing with multiple players (3 CDJs or whatever), 4 USB sticks are a lot cheaper and more reliable than carrying around a hub and a bunch of lan cables.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yeah. Rekordbox adds metadata. It's easy enough to just not read the metadata.

On the other hand, USB sticks are cheap. How much music are you trying to carry? 16GB sticks are about $10-$20 on Amazon. Buy 8 of them and some utility to keep them in sync (OS X comes with several, including rsync and dd) and you'll easily be able to have 4 prepared with Rekordbox and 4 just raw music organized into folders (or however you want to do it) for about the cost of 2-weeks worth of a working DJ's music budget from 10 years ago. Just put stickers on them or something so you know what's what.

If I were routinely playing places that had USB-enabled CD players in the booth, I'd carry a handfull of USB keys if only as a backup. Considering how badly a lot of live sound guys think of DJ gear and how little regard some bars give their DJ booths, I'm not sure I'd trust CDJs to be linked unless I were playing a festival or a really big night.

$80-$160 is damn cheap for a backup system that robust. You can't get an iPhone for that.

And if you're playing with multiple players (3 CDJs or whatever), 4 USB sticks are a lot cheaper and more reliable than carrying around a hub and a bunch of lan cables.
    +1!