vci 400 vs reloop jockey 3 ME vs S4

Default vci 400 vs reloop jockey 3 ME vs S4

Hey guys, here to hopefully make a decision on what controller I should grab. Currently I have the S4 and am wanting to purchase a new controller because of one thing: Jog wheels!!
    I aprpeciate the excellent mapping on the S4 but I value backspins greatly and this is a real dealbreaker for me..

So what I value the most is:
    -Build quality and good software compatibility
    -TRAKTOR!!
    -backspins (as close of a cdj feel as possible)
    -hotcue buttons
    -a dial to jump by phrases through the song (8 bars)
    -ability to connect djs though this isnt a must

vci 400
    what attracts me is the excellent build quality and adjustable jog resistance/sensativity as well as the supposedly amazing soundcard.
    im not sure if I can connect cdj's to this mixer and use one channel to eq it..can anyone comment? also, from reviews ive noticed everyone saying that although the jogs are very nice physically, the software integration on them are very poor with traktor. have there been any improvements?
    reloop 3
    I like the reloop3 because it is a standalone unit with excellent build quality but am a little disappointed in only 2 physical channels. although this isnt a big deal, I feel like it trumps me wanting to connect a cdj.. wouldn’t it be super confusing to have the 2 decks playing and also try to eq a cdj connected to controller? and again I saw in some reviews that the jog wheels may sometimes be oversensative to the point where if you hover above the wheel, it will trigger it..
    s4
    really is an awesome machine and how well it integrates with traktor is unmatched. but the build quality isnt as great (not saying its poorly made but its mostly plastic)
    I just hate the jog wheels on them..

on a side note I did consider the vci100mk2 but it doesn’t have hotcues.
    as you can see, most of my concerns with non NI products lie in jog wheel functionality, cdj feel and software-hardware compatibility.
    could anyone who owns or has used these controllers comment on which provide me with most of my requirements or comment? thanks a lot!

Tech Wizard

From what I've personally seen... I think the new VCI-400 is probably one of the most well made controllers on the market. Build quality is top notch and the sound card is unbelievable. Only problem is the $$$ but you get what you pay for... I'd recommend the VCI-400 over anything else out there right now though

- $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by pstokesy5 View Post
    From what I've personally seen... I think the new VCI-400 is probably one of the most well made controllers on the market. Build quality is top notch and the sound card is unbelievable. Only problem is the $$$ but you get what you pay for... I'd recommend the VCI-400 over anything else out there right now though

- $0.02
    Right on brother pstokesy5... saving for one now. Vestax have raised the bar with the 400 and it's getting me wet (that, and the rain).

PC/Mhac, Traktor 2, Citronic MP-X10, 2 x Kam KCD450, Behringer BCD3000, Echo Audio Layla 3G, Numark EM-460 w/Kaoss Pad, Shure C606, Carlsbro Tytan PA, Turbosound TXD121 12" Tops, Reloop RHP-20
    http://soundcloud.com/escapemcp

Quote Originally Posted by jngggggggg View Post
    vci 400
    what attracts me is the excellent build quality and adjustable jog resistance/sensativity as well as the supposedly amazing soundcard.
    im not sure if I can connect cdj's to this mixer and use one channel to eq it..can anyone comment? also, from reviews ive noticed everyone saying that although the jogs are very nice physically, the software integration on them are very poor with traktor. have there been any improvements?
    You can EITHER run decks C & D straight into the master bus out, OR you can route them into Traktor. To do this you need to use 1/2 deck(s) in Traktor - set deck to "Live Input", and then you are free use use Traktor's EQ/FX on your CDJ's/1210's which run into the C/D inputs on the 400. Would have been nicer to also be able to route C/D inputs into channels C/D of the 400 with EQ & Filter, but hey, can't have EVERYTHING (and the channels' EQ & Filter would sound different to Traktor's)).
    Last edited by escapemcp; 12-19-2011 at 10:16 AM.

PC/Mhac, Traktor 2, Citronic MP-X10, 2 x Kam KCD450, Behringer BCD3000, Echo Audio Layla 3G, Numark EM-460 w/Kaoss Pad, Shure C606, Carlsbro Tytan PA, Turbosound TXD121 12" Tops, Reloop RHP-20

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Wasnt there just a huge thread about how vci400 latency is basically unuseable? Maybe it was just for win7? but take a look at that before buying if ur on pc.

U really cant go wrong with s4..i think build quality is fine if u dont manhandle it. Like u said, the tight integration is unmatched.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that - and then there's a vid where the bloke whacks the powerpack and the 400 switches off and on! Hoping that by the time I have sold my kidney to buy one, then Vestax will have HAD to sort out these problems (if they haven't then the controller will sink without trace).

It just looks like buggy drivers, which can be sorted out easy enough. Powerpack is external to unit, so can easily be replaced (under warranty) - still, not the best of starts, but I can excuse these if they can get it working well (can't see why they couldn't - new stuff is always a 'bit' buggy)

Vci400 would be a great choice if they solved theltency issues and if ur a mapping guy.
    That's me!

EDIT:
    That said, NI's HID integration with Traktor is second to none. If you want really responsive jogs, the S4 will play nicer with Traktor than the Vestax.
    Last edited by escapemcp; 12-19-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Editing!

I was shocked by the latency that ppl were getting.. insane.. goes to show its always worth it to wait a bit when new gear comes out no matter how shiny it looks i guess.
    Oh, don't... bought a unit 6 months ago... many manufacturers have brought out copies with better firmware. I was waiting for an updated firmware, but the unit is now discontinued... after just 6 months.. No fair!

Tech Wizard

VCI400 on Windows + Traktor not work correctly on my all laptop and pc. VCI400 low master output! Sound card on Jockey 3 not hi quality, use this controller with NI Audio 8 DJ. Now I use Pioneer DDJ-T1 and MEP-7000 + DJM-5000 and all perfect.
    If have profesional equipment, buy classic mixer + two cd/midi player (Pioneer CDJ850, ...)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by escapemcp View Post
    EDIT:
    That said, NI's HID integration with Traktor is second to none. If you want really responsive jogs, the S4 will play nicer with Traktor than the Vestax.
    about those jog wheels? your informations are from? how do you know s4 has better jog wheels?