Beatgridding and tunes that change tempo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Beatgridding and tunes that change tempo

I was just trying to Beatgrid a tune by Robert Hood and the song seems to be ok, but then about 2-3 minutes in , the tempo speeds up or a bad edit, and all the grid lines fall out of time.. What does one do with weird tunes like these...or just dj them in the old way?
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

Tech Wizard

In Traktor 3.3 i had a track which had a break which was somewhat out of sync which could be solved by adding another grid marker. But i think that there is no option for tracks with changing tempo.

Rather the track was ripped off vinyl or it was made that way - theres a couple ways around it you can use more beatgrid markers or you can send it though Ableton and warp it so its all the same tempo then take it back into Traktor so you can beatgrid with just a single grid marker.

Tech Guru

I'm a little confused on what I would do with this file after it would be warped in Live? Export it? Most my tunes are 320 wavs..I hate to lose quality.
    Are you thinking warp wavs and export them as they have been beatmapped? Thanks Bento
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Rather the track was ripped off vinyl or it was made that way - theres a couple ways around it you can use more beatgrid markers or you can send it though Ableton and warp it so its all the same tempo then take it back into Traktor so you can beatgrid with just a single grid marker.
    hmm this "warping" thingy seems nice. I'm not ableton person, so is there simple way to learn it from a guide, or can you spot more apps that can fit the criteria?

that would be epic, coz i right now see the great possibility of warping my whole old reggae collection into realy sick mixes (instead of lame trainwreck fests)...
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Wizard

if the songa has tempo change on purpose it makes no sense to warp it. the reason why a song should be warped is when its played in live like funk or old disco stuff. i used to se ableton for this but then i ended up with wav files without tags. now im going with torq, because its my dj system of choice and it does the same thing without modifying the file itself.
    on the other hand if your song has a tempochange on purpose it makes no sence to warp it because 1. it will sound shit and 2. it ruins the song
    usually songs that have a tempochange on purpose (you find this a lot in fidget electro house songs that remix old hiphop classics) going down to an original songs bpm and then speeding up to the electro speed. so 120 - 95 - 120 what you do is just wait for the transition until the song is back at 120 again. all the beatgrids should be on time again.
    ah and you cant go wrong with manual beatmatching

You cant say all tracks sound "crap" warped, some do some dont, theres no set rules for if something going to sound crap or not when you warp it. Some tracks warping isnt going to sound nice while others will work really well with warping. To warp or not to warp should be judged on a case to case basis, dramatic tempo changes wont sound that great warped while minor changes you will hardly notice.

Tech Wizard

nah bento you got me wrong, what i was trying to say was: if you warp a song which has a tempo change on purpose (like those electro hiphop remixes) it sounds crap if you warp them.
    But if you have a funk song or disco classig which is just not on time during the whole song it usually unnoticable if you warp it. EXCEPT james browns sex machine.... i dont know what schema this song is following haha ??? triplets ???

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    that would be epic, coz i right now see the great possibility of warping my whole old reggae collection into realy sick mixes (instead of lame trainwreck fests)...
    well, you got me hooked with that line... i recorded some of my old reggae 7-inches, but they're sounding kinda crap (as i recorded them with some reeeeally old belt-drive TT's - they simply suck )...

could anyone of you explain what steps to follow to warp a song and export it back into traktor? i'd love to get my old vinyls digitalized, but only if the tempo is right on spot

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

Tech Wizard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast