dj stores by your location - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am a pro audio department manager at my local Guitar Center & I definitely have to say that each store is different based on the staff who work there. The majority of my staff are DJs including myself, one is an ableton certified trainer & the rest are experienced recording gurus. We are the smaller of the 2 stores in Vegas & as such the vibe is more like a neighborhood shop, heavily focused on customer service. Our customers tend to like us more often than not & our bread & butter is repeat business. Being that we're commission based, you should expect that if you're the customer who's trying to return some shit you used the hell out of, threw the packaging away & want a efund for, grinding us for a better price on something that only ebay has cheaper & if you act like an arrogant asshole or like you know everything and don't want our advice, you're not likely to walk out of the store happy. I'm not defending the company by any means, on certain matters our hands are tied by corporate policy & we're just as confused & angry as you are. I encourage any of you to write letters & tell them you want more pro DJ & production gear in every store not just a pile of entry level controllers & that you want the same respect & acknowledgement as guitar players & drummers deserve considering the kind of money we spend on gear as DJs & producers. If you just complain about GC on message boards, little will change. If you write directly and en mass, you will make a change for the better.

I'm in Hollywood so Turntable Lab LA is the coolest DJ store nearby. But I also live walking distance from Cosmos which will hook you up in a pinch; they also rent equipment which has saved me for many a gig. Guitar Centers are everywhere too and I dig them for their price matching policies (find a good price on the internet and if it's a valid price they will match it) and their liberal return and exchange policies. The staff is hit or miss; some people know what they're talking about and a lot have no clue; in LA they mostly are better I think because there's so many hungry and committed young musicians and producers around to hire. And it's not a DJ store but I gotta give a shout out to Ametron (also pretty much walking distance) for all my cabling, adapting, and miscellaneous electronic doohickey type needs.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

We've got Platinum Records downtown here in Portland and they have a great selection, all DJ gear, pro sound, lighting, vinyl etc. Their prices for DJ gear are too high to make it possible for me to make big purchases there, but I try to support them as much as possible for auxiliary items like cables, cases and speaker stands.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I live 10 mins from decks.co.uk London store. Buy all gear from there
    What I'd give to live 10 mins from there!!! Green with envy!!

Although stoke is only small we had a place called "Cookies". I always try to buy my gear from there (if they stock it). Have done since 1999!! Great place to go and try what they have to sell!!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

I live not too far away from Hard To Find Records (HTFR).

They seem to get a bad rep on the Internet but I have to say that every time I go there I have no problems at all.

They are courteous, helpful and always give me a discount.

I had a new DJM 800 from there last year which, after 3 months, started to play up.

They exchanged it for a new one without any problems.

I don't buy from there on the Internet, only in store, so maybe it's the Internet shopping side of it that doesn't work so well.

Tech Mentor

I live down the street from a Guitar Center but their Dj department is filled with equipment that's beat to shit. Their production areas are pretty nice. Also live down the street from the DJ Techtools store and not to be to harsh, they're not very friendly. Then there's Dr. Freecloud's, also down the street, which is mostly an EDM vinyl shop that occasionally sells used gear which is cool to go to but I'm limited to their small hip hop and breaks section. That leaves me to make the trek to Turntable Lab and a swing by Amoeba Records in LA. Recently our local nerd superstore Fry's started selling vinyl though and they carry the occasional controller, nothing opened to play with though. It seems like I've got plenty of options for Dj related stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    I live about 2 miles away from Chemical Records in Bristol ...
    I would be so poor...

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    Recently our local nerd superstore Fry's started selling vinyl though and they carry the occasional controller, nothing opened to play with though.
    Fry's has vinyl? That's awesome! I was just there spending way too much money on a hard drive; wish I'd known ... then again I would probably have spent way too long there if I did know about it.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

the store by me is called extreme pro sound. extremeprosound.com

and they seem to give me breaks on some stuff. it's hard to find a vinyl store.

Tech Wizard

What Cincinnati lacks in stores that sell gear (dominated by Guitar Centers and Sam Ashes) it more than makes up for in record stores. We have Shake-It (one fo the best record stores in the country) and Everybody's (nearly as good) and a new vinyl only store that I can't remember the name of. All of them have exceptional vinyl selections with a constantly rotating new & used inventory, you never know what you're going to find.
    I'm fine with the lack of stores that sell gear as I'm way more interested in vinyl and can find any gear online cheaper than I would in a store.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast