Leaving the Bedroom - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I think "paying dues" provides a DJ a lot of important skills.

I remember playing WAY more than my share of 8-9pm sets, and 9-10pm sets. And every time I move, I have to do at least a small share of them just to prove to other DJs that I have skills. (When I perform those, 'I just got into town' sets, I usually leave the computer at home, just to let them know I have skills outside that computational box)

I've DJd in front of a crowd well over 1000 times, and every time I do it I learn something more about the job, reading the crowd and understanding the game. I believe I'll never learn all there is to learn about performing!

"Reading the crowd" is a skill that absolutely can't be learned in the bedroom, and HAS to be learned in front of a dancefloor. "Paying dues" is a great way of learning that skill, without taking a primetime slot from a DJ who has learned that skill.

However, if you got a gig. Take it, and be proud. Very soon you'll realize there are 30 other DJs chomping at the bit to get that gig off your hands. And you've gotta protect it! Hard work, practice, and taking every second on stage seriously will help you keep that job, AND get better.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    I would never hate on Benny Benassi, he brought sidechain compression to the masses.
    I think Daft Punk may have beaten him to that by about a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    I think Daft Punk may have beaten him to that by about a decade.
    *waves hands in air* Peach it!

aaaah, two french blokes I could never get too much of.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    "Reading the crowd".....
    ...is one of the important differences between DJs with and without experience.

My first gig: As I was 11 years old I've been gone to a disco party in our youth club - i've seen these coloured lights and the DJ and I said: Thats want I want.
    6 Months later i entered in the disco-crew from this youth club, where i played every 6 weeks - so at my first gig I was 12 years old, mixed music and it was very succesfull. There were 2 Technics SL1210 and from this time on, i went there every day to practice mixing and learn the old records. with 15 i win a DJ-Contest from a dance school and with 16 I played at all clubs in town (Stuttgart/Germany) from mixed to wave/rock/gothic to Trance/Techno in the 90ies. in 2004 I thought its the End because I didnt like this minimal style - but then I've seen controllers and software and I started a new career with my Numark total control and T Pro - its so exciting ! (when a track is too minimal - i let play 2 of them and its ok
    Now I am 36 and try to become international success... (perhaps you will help me...

What I want to say: in these first years I learned to react of the feelings of the crowd - surely I have a playlist for the next 3-4 tracks in my brain, but this changes after every track i play. and thats the difference between guys who prepare their playlists and go straight trough - thats not how a real DJ should work - keep an eye on the people - not only in your notebook !

thanks for your time

Tech Mentor

Hey guys. Once again, thanks for your advice.

Great Article on Carl Cox and his journey from vinyl to digital.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...1-2902,00.html
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, BCD-3000, WinXP(Pro)-SP2, Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cheft View Post
    Great Article on Carl Cox and his journey from vinyl to digital.
    Carl Cox went digital?! Never thought that would happen, although all he did was switch from vinyl to Vinyl controllers to CDJ controllers. Not like he went Ableton Live like some.

I really should start reading the dance music press.

I was scared shitless at my first gig which was back in 96. I was doing trance at a desert party my buddy was throwing thinking that maybe a couple hundred people would show up... next thing i know, there's over a thousand people here, the wind is blowing sand everywhere, and I can't seem to tell which way is up (for many reasons). I remember trainwrecking a couple of times and all I remember was panic. Over the years, i learned to relax and be more patient, which is something i still struggle with today. I took a haitus between 99-04 to go to school and sober up and whatnot. I got back into it a couple of years ago and the nerves are still there but I've learned to harness it and channel it through. I guess what i'm trying to say is, relax and have fun, cause the more fun you're having, the more fun the audience is gonna have.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post

I sort of think the longer that you DJ in your bedroom (and not in clubs), the expectations you build of yourself become bigger and bigger. At least for me...like even if I pull off a nice mix, it's just never good enough, there's always more things I could be doing (or less!) to make the mix perfect. At least that's my attitude!

agree 100% ... I'm never totally satisfied with my work, it pushes me to work harder and improve upon my skills no matter how good I get. The moment an artist (DJs in this case) gets comfortable and overly confident with his work is usually the point that their work begins to suffer.

comfortable artists do not make good artists. confidence is valuable, but insecurity goes along way too. If you're your own worst critic, that's an amazing valuable gift to have and will push you further than artists who are cool with reaching a plateau and staying there.

Regular club gig does not a comfortable "doesn't care" DJ make.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast