Mostapha's Setup - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Have I really had that ddj-sx for 2 years?

I thought it was going to be more temporary than that.

So.....DJ gear hasn't changed. I actually quit for a while. I kind of blame the ddj-sx for it, but mostly, it was just life.

Now that I'm kind of back in it again, I want to make a change. I'm thinking about the S8, but I think it's fugly. In thinking about going back to traktor.

Decks will either be a pair of X1s or an X1 and a pair of F1s. Mixer will be either a Xone:92R or an Empathy Rotary (if I can find one). And I'll probably just get an A10 and a snake. An S8 would be cheaper and easier to transport, and I'm thinking about it....but the thing is fugly.

The ddj-sx, sl1, and my 1200s will be for sale shortly. It's just too much stuff to not use that often. I haven't used my 1200s since before I posted that last update.

Sorry for all the pictures disappearing.

Here's the current setup in our new place.

Yups...

I'm sometimes rethinking gear myself. Just look what kind of way manipulating your tracks seem most natural to you, or brings you greatest joy while spinning tunes.

The X1 mkII does has some nice added value over the X1 MkI.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Well, I still have that 4-channel vestax and an m-audio fw410 sitting around at dad's place. And a pair of X1s come with a traktor pro worth of vouchers. I'll probably go pick those up and see what that's like. I remember really liking it last time, I just missed the feeling of wax under my fingers. But, I'm not getting that now anyway, and I still don't feel like they're worth the space they take up.

I'm pretty sure I got the ddj-sx because I could use it like a CDJ setup, which I can. But, there's so much wasted space that I don't use, and it's confusing and weird to use it for 4 decks...I've always hatred layers.

That's actually the one good thing the S8 has going for it....if you use it as it's obviously intended, you've got all the decks right there. I just don't see really good looping controls.

I picked up some of my old stuff and bought an X1 mk2 (GC only had one).

From a first little spin on it, I don't see any real improvements over the mk1....though the flux thing and having 2 pages of cues that are half-available at a time (instead of 8 on a 2nd layer) is cool. I'll probably just buy a second unless a pair of mk1s fall into my lap.

I'm amazed that 410 still works. They discontinued it a long time ago, and they haven't released drivers for like 2 years. But it and the mixer do still work, which give me some time to decide whether I want to go simple with a 900 or spend a lot more money on a xone and a new interface.

Any thoughts on Maschine vs. Remix Decks? I could do what I want with either. The F1 would be simpler, but I already own Maschine and have done that before.

ETA: Also, probably not going with a Xone or a Pio. I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a pioneer, and I could get an alpha 4100 for the cost of a Xone.....or probably spend less on an mp2016 or 1620le if I could find one. And I've always wanted a rotary.

There was a period in there when I was spinning with a little akai controller as my mixer.....with a Xone:62 sitting on the floor. It's time to actually buy a rotary mixer.
    Last edited by mostapha; 10-04-2014 at 03:40 AM.

nice setup mate

Picked some things up from "storage", bought a couple things, and went back to traktor for a little while. I think I just need to get over my hatred of gridding tracks, because its more fun to spin this way.

The mixer is a vmc-004xl. It's kind of a piece of junk, but it works. It'll get sorted soon, just have to decide which direction to go. Right now, top contenders are an mp2016a/s or an empath rotary if I decide I'm okay loading up its inputs right away. I think the 2016 will end up working and looking better, because it'll end up mounted in the desk. I also kind of want one because I've always wanted a classic(ish) rotary and feel I mix better when I don't have EQ knobs to fiddle with incessantly. And I do have a pair of 1200s and an SL1 I can pick up if I can find the space.

X1s are mapped pretty much default right now. The right one (c/d) is going to have its top section re-done completely. Knobs are going to be 4 channels of filters on the left and 4 channels of Xone hi-mid EQ on the right (its the only EQ knob I really like....perfect for bringing snare grooves to the front/back).

The buttons on the left are going to be mute buttons for the decks if I can figure out how to map that. Buttons on the right are probably going to set effects unit defaults, and if it's mappable, deck c and d flavors. It'll also get covered in console tape as this happens.

Maschine is running an apparently popular mapping that gives remix deck controls and midifighter instant gratification, plus some other stuff I don't use. In going to replace it with at least one F1 soon, because maschine is as bad a midi control surface for traktor as it is for pro tools. The knobs lose their position and don't takeover gracefully, and I'd rather spend money than waste time trying to fix it.

If I can get an F1 to duplicate that IG mapping and control deck flavor via midi (or the F1 itself) there's a chance I'll just get 2. I really like the remix decks. I used to do that with Ableton Live or Maschine at various points, and I think the remix decks are more fluid. But I've also finally come around on the IG mapping. I don't use effects much anyway, and there's at least as much thought put into them as I've ever heard put into effects by anyone but James Zabiela and Richie Hawtin.

Speakers are going to go up on stands. It'll probably be like Xonetacular's desk, but with a different base.

I'm planning on recording a mix soon, but I need to buy some more tracks first as well as spend some time in Maschine building remix sets.

Go for the 2016, probably the last mixer you will buy...loving mine (expander is also nice).
    Good thing you have the second hand option, here in Europe they are scarce as hen's teeth....

The only one I ever saw for sale was the one I bought (actually stole because NIB I only paid 630 euro ($800-ish), retail is 2.5K over here)

I've seen Panotaker's post on dj-forums, cool guy but I don't agree....
    Cult status is the only reason to buy a Bozak, sound wise the Rane 2016 (a or s) is on par (and I own / have owned almost every hi-end mixer available (Formula Sound, Rane, Rodec, Pioneer, A&H)

The 'wave music' forum is heaven for rotary fans...check the board out to get an honest opinion from the 'insiders'.
    Last edited by JohnnyDrama; 10-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Thanks, johnny. I have. It's kind of a matter of the 2016s making the most sense and the urei 1620 appearing to have a bit of that mojo that doesn't matter except that it does.

The X1 mapping project is going well. Added some feedback, deck flavor switching, unload commands, effects shortcuts....and I'm playing with EQ and filter controls on the knobs....partially because I don't like the EQs on my mixer...partially because the 2016 and urei don't have them...and partially because I can't think of anything else to do with them since I don't really use effects.

I still haven't gotten around to building remix sets, but I'll get around to it eventually.

I'm really starting to hate that vestax, and I'm going to need to wait a bit to get the rotary. I'm seriously considering just using my SX as a mixer until I can get it and sink it into the tabletop.

ETA:

Apparently I can use the platters if I decide I want to. This works for now.

The ddj-sx is a much better mixer than the vmc-004xl.
    Last edited by mostapha; 10-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Default I Found some old pictures

...and re-hosted them on imgur...more or less in order

1210s + rented djm600, cdj1000s

1210s, Vestax, FS2

1210s, vestax, 200s

Live (controller only)

X1, 62, maschine

1200s, SSL

Then the DDJ-SX and back to Traktor with X1mk2s that have been in the recent posts.

I wish I hadn't had to sell as much gear as I did to try everything. I'd love to have those 1210s (especially the m5g) back, even if I don't have space for them right now.

After spinning with (basically) everything common, I have to say that I don't really have a preference except for quality gear. Having a SDJ and TP setup at home, I go back and forth every couple days.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast