Mostapha's Setup - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

2. I haven't used a screensaver in years, as LCDs are much less susceptible to burn-in than CRTs. To prevent the display from going to sleep I use an app called Amphetamine (free in the Mac App Store), which is set to automatically activate when Traktor is running.

Also make sure you're using Traktor 2.11.1, which fixes the screens freezing when switching spaces in macOS.

4. Have you tried only extending the rear legs, so that the D2 is at an angle? I prefer this sometimes to get a better viewing angle of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    2. I haven't used a screensaver in years, as LCDs are much less susceptible to burn-in than CRTs. To prevent the display from going to sleep I use an app called Amphetamine (free in the Mac App Store), which is set to automatically activate when Traktor is running.

Also make sure you're using Traktor 2.11.1, which fixes the screens freezing when switching spaces in macOS.

4. Have you tried only extending the rear legs, so that the D2 is at an angle? I prefer this sometimes to get a better viewing angle of the screen.
    I just set the screen savers to manual only activation. I use them to lock the computer when I'm away for a little while because of paranoia.

And, yes, the feet have been set up like that since before I used them the first time. It's not about the angle, it's about what exactly is displayed on them.

Anyway...I might have a project coming up. I do still have a set of 1200s, and as much as I think DVS is a bit of a waste, it might be fun to play vinyl occasionally (I picked up a few hundred records from my dads place. Unfortunately, I don't spin that style anymore).

And I ran across a few pictures like this one...

It might be fun to build a tabletop that kind of looks/works like that with a pair of turntables flanking my controllers and my 2016 (and maybe some other toys) on the angled front.

I doubt I'll actually go through with it, but it could be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to try something weird before an NYE get together (you couldn't pay me enough to actually go out tonight)...

So...as I figured, rekordbox works with any sound card for external mixing and the SX works as a controller only. So, I'm running my A10 into my 2016 and using the SX for decks and effects controls, and.....

I like it. A lot.

Pioneer's effects (while I still don't care about most of them) sound better than Traktor's and are easier to use...at least for the 2 or 3 I care about. I think the only real exception is the filter, but that isn't that big of a deal.

And while I know it shouldn't, I swear it sounds better. I'm convinced it's a matter of gain staging and actually using reference levels transparent to the user, unlike NI's habit of defaulting to everything being hot as hell to the point their own processing sounds wrong.

And there are a few things I did that required doubles in Traktor. RB can apparently just do them.

I'm going to have to play it this way for a while, because I think I like it better. I'm probably not going to sell the D2s any time soon (I learned my lesson selling gear I liked only to buy it again 2 or 3 times). But, it also makes it simpler if I want to take my gear somewhere (compared to taking the 2016 out of the desk and plugging all that crap in).

I think I'm a fan.

I guess I've got until my rekordbox demo runs out to decide if it's actually worth spending money on...which would probably involve one of the pieces of hardware that comes with it rather than paying for it directly.

Maybe I could get it for free if I manage to sell some of the unused traktor licenses I have sitting around.

So, I figured out why Rekordbox sounded better.

There's yet another chapter in NI's tale about constantly trolling the music community with back-asswards gain staging. They fixed the internal reference level problems, so the effects respond correctly to auto-gain. But, they're still under the delusion that 0dBFS should mean "nominal" instead of "OMGDISTORTION".

It's an easier fix than last time. Though, ironically, the old fix (turning down the channel gains) no longer works correctly. Running the master at like -24dB brought back all of the punch and clarity I've come to expect from my setup.

And no, somehow it's not the same as running the channel gains super low. At least, it doesn't sound like it is (I haven't done any technical tests except that one way gives me a headache and the other doesn't).

Seriously, NI. Your software is supposed to be made for professionals, and no one wants to use your shitty limiter, and we shouldn't have to figure this stuff out all over again every couple years. Thank you for fixing the effects, but stop dicking up the gain staging. It's not that hard to just make Traktor do the right thing whether we're using your all-in-ones/mixers or not.

What about mixing externally?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    What about mixing externally?
    That is for mixing externally.

No, I don't know why turning down the master turns down all of the channels, but it does. I also don't know why it appears to sound different than turning down the channel gains individually.

There are a lot of things about traktor that confuse me.

I did some more tests, and I was right. Traktor's master level (for external mixing) should be set at least lower than the negative of your sound card's maximum line level output. For my a10mk2, somewhere between -14 and -24 gives everything the level it wants, records well, and sounds good.

I also pulled the SX. I just don't like spinning that way anymore. I was trying to turn it into a Traktor-like controller, and that doesn't work. Rekordbox, OTOH, is impressive. I'm seriously considering mapping my x1mk2s to it to see how that works. It doesn't matter, but it would be kind of cool to be able to just export USB keys to play on other people's gear if I needed to....though I doubt it'll ever matter.

I did some more tests, and I was right. Traktor's master level (for external mixing) should be set at least lower than the negative of your sound card's maximum line level output. For my a10mk2, somewhere between -14 and -24 gives everything the level it wants, records well, and sounds good.
    This is massive. Thanks for figuring this out.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    To be honest, I though this is something that is common knowledge. If for nothing else then for the fact that, when using external mixing with Traktor, volume of Traktor decks set on 0db deck gain and 0db master gain (in software) is MASSIVELY higher than the volume of CDJ's outputs into the RCA's of the same mixer (of course, with trim/gain knobs on the mixer set at 12 o'clock for example).

Lowering the Traktor master volume (for me it is -14,3db value) enables the deck autogain feature of Traktor to be on and enables me to mix between Traktor/CDJ sources without the need to change trim/gain on the mixer's channels when doing so.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

I've always found the opposite. Traktor's deck gain and master gain are set to 0dB and autogain, limiter and headroom are off. Traktor is connected via USB to my DJM-750 MK1. My XDJ-1000 MK1 is connected via analog RCAs.

Playing the same song, Traktor is about 4dB quieter than the XDJ. Increasing the USB Output Level in the DJM setting utility doesn't change anything.

With my Audio 10 MK1 it's about 2dB quieter.
    Last edited by ErikMinekus; 01-10-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast