Mostapha's Setup - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Hi.

I'm the same person as mostapha. I lost control of that account at some point.

I also haven't DJd since the move because of a lot of personal things (old back injury flared up and I couldn't really move for most of a year).

I still own all of my gear, but it's packed. And my laptop is dead.

I'm about to buy a new MBP to get into it again. It was the weirdest thing that kicked it off...The videos of Richie Hawtin and Chris Liebing demoing their new setups with the model 1. I'm not interested in the mixer, but I really want to spin techno/minimal for a while.

It'll be a few weeks until I can do it....there are puppies in my dork cave right now (wife rescued a stray that turned out to be pregnant).

The GiK stuff is in, and the room sounds fantastic. I ended up with a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers for my living room and kind of love them, so I'll probably do that down there at some point. Still rocking those RP5s that i got as floor models in 2005. They still work, and in a treated room, they actually sound very decent. Not good, but decent.

I'm joining again mostly to try and either enable stupid purchases or rein myself in....I'm seriously considering an Apollo 16 as a DJ interface. It's just so incredibly powerful, and I doubt I'd need anything else for a very long time.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Welcome back, mate.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Thanks.

So, apparently I picked the right time to buy that 2016s. It was discontinued later that year. Yay for that stroke of luck.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Tech Wizard

Is it just me or is this place dead compared to how it used to be?

Setup Thread

Tech Wizard

So, the planned upgrades didn't go as planned. Among other things, we adopted one of the dogs my wife rescued in January. Her name is Ronnie and she's amazing.

So...change 1. I haven't bought a new laptop. I've spent way too much on vet and medical bills over the last couple years to care, and I'm at least months away from gigging if that even ever happens. So, I moved my hackintosh into a rack case so it wouldn't be an eye sore in my dork cave.

It's kind of funny how little space it takes up in that huge rack case, but the 4U cases make sense because they can use full size cards and ATX power supplies. Anyway, it's an i7 with 32 GB of ram, 128 GB of SSDs in a RAID0, and a 2TB hard drive for local media storage (with an 8TB usable NAS for backup & archives). It'll do just fine for my purposes.

Full setup:

The big upgrade is all the treatments from GiK Accoustics. I'm very very very very very pleased with them. They take up a lot of space, but both sets of speakers actually sound very decent in that room.

Still those same RP5 gen1s that were floor models in 2005. I guess I didn't frame it right. The hackintosh, my daily desktop (running linux), and my NAS are in a rack case off to the right. Daily driver uses the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s that I don't remember buying, and the hackintosh and DJ setup use the KRKs. The DJ table has casters on it, so it rolls out of the way, and the actual desk is the Ikea motorized sit-stand jobbie....which I have mostly for my trick back. It could use better cable management, but that actually takes planning and buying as opposed to just using things I threw together. The main computer monitor is a 40" 4K Seiki thing. The colors are a bit extreme, but it works well. I guess I could run the hackintosh into it as opposed to having an extra monitor sitting around, but...traktor would probably be fugly on that screen. And I remember OS X having issues running 4K. I got it to work before, but the video card that did it is in the other computer, and I don't feel like buying another one. I'm more likely to remove it and just use the smaller screen. I'm not coding professionally anymore, so I don't really have that much of a use for the huge screen except leaving things I want to get to eventually all over the place.

I forgot to take some pictures of the setup with my 1200s in place. But...I'm pretty sure I'm not using them. I did set them up as an experiment to see if I could still beatmatch without aides....which apparently I can. But, I just don't enjoy it the same way I used to. At this point, for me, turntables are 100% aesthetic unless I decide to start spinning vinyl again. But, that loses keylock...which IMHO is the killer feature of all of the digital systems. I thought about building the top of that table as a NY-style console (e.g., https://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/...6c10fe52_b.jpg), but to also fit the controllers I want would make it pretty big and a fairly complex build. Plus, it wouldn't look right without a 3rd turntable....which I also don't want to spend money on, since I would probably never use it.

That being said, I'm having trouble deciding to sell them. Looks like they'd go for around $400 each based on condition. But, if I sell them, I'll never own another one. I guess it's just a matter of whether I want to keep them "just in case" or let them go to someone who would actually cherish and use them. The later makes a lot more sense. And if it's just going to be aesthetic, there are other turntables that I think look better (especially compared to my beaten up mk2s).

Anyway, here's the fun part...

Putting the 2nd X1 on the right was an experiment that I don't like.

I have no planned upgrades at the moment.

At some point, I'm going to build a real wood tabletop for that frame and actually do a good job of sinking the mixer in it. Eventually, I want decent meters. But, I'm still just using the record in level meter in traktor. Standalone meters that are good seems insanely expensive. And the one I have is worthless...it actually doesn't have an audio signal running to it right now, and it probably won't.

I can't seem to find my X1mk2 mappings. So, everything is mapped 100% stock. I don't like the quirks of the F1 in step sequencer mode, so I'm just using it the same way I used to. I'm probably going to go back to the extremely limited EQ thing at some point (one X1 will get dedicated HP filters and xone high-mid EQs on it's knobs, the other will be delay and reverb). But, I can't really arse myself to do it. The xone-filter effect can do all of those things, it's just a matter of more buttons.

I have flirted with the idea of going for XDJs. But....to get where I am now, 3 XDJ-1000mk2s and a DJS-1000 cost around $4800....which would also buy a pair of KH120s, a KH 805, and a MBP. And when I was last shopping for monitors, those KH120s were the most impressive things I demo'd short of a huge 3-way midfield system.

I've also thought about a pair of D2s. But....the fact that they require power and force you to use layers bugs me. I'd like screens so I don't have to look at the computer as much, but...I don't think they fit as well as the X1s and F1. I've learned my lesson with layers and would have to think very hard about that. To do things the way that makes sense for me, I'd still have an X1 and an F1 on the other side....which seems a little ridiculous. And all it really adds is the screen. Maybe it's worth it, but for how I want to work, they're essentially single-deck controllers.

And I still have that DDJ-SX. It still works just fine, and I can still mix on it. But, the layers are stupid. If I can find the traktor mapping I used to use with it, it would make a convenient rig to drag around for house parties.

Setup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moostapha View Post
    So, the planned upgrades didn't go as planned. Among other things, we adopted one of the dogs my wife rescued in January. Her name is Ronnie and she's amazing.

So...change 1. I haven't bought a new laptop. I've spent way too much on vet and medical bills over the last couple years to care, and I'm at least months away from gigging if that even ever happens. So, I moved my hackintosh into a rack case so it wouldn't be an eye sore in my dork cave.

It's kind of funny how little space it takes up in that huge rack case, but the 4U cases make sense because they can use full size cards and ATX power supplies. Anyway, it's an i7 with 32 GB of ram, 128 GB of SSDs in a RAID0, and a 2TB hard drive for local media storage (with an 8TB usable NAS for backup & archives). It'll do just fine for my purposes.

Full setup:

The big upgrade is all the treatments from GiK Accoustics. I'm very very very very very pleased with them. They take up a lot of space, but both sets of speakers actually sound very decent in that room.

Still those same RP5 gen1s that were floor models in 2005. I guess I didn't frame it right. The hackintosh, my daily desktop (running linux), and my NAS are in a rack case off to the right. Daily driver uses the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s that I don't remember buying, and the hackintosh and DJ setup use the KRKs. The DJ table has casters on it, so it rolls out of the way, and the actual desk is the Ikea motorized sit-stand jobbie....which I have mostly for my trick back. It could use better cable management, but that actually takes planning and buying as opposed to just using things I threw together. The main computer monitor is a 40" 4K Seiki thing. The colors are a bit extreme, but it works well. I guess I could run the hackintosh into it as opposed to having an extra monitor sitting around, but...traktor would probably be fugly on that screen. And I remember OS X having issues running 4K. I got it to work before, but the video card that did it is in the other computer, and I don't feel like buying another one. I'm more likely to remove it and just use the smaller screen. I'm not coding professionally anymore, so I don't really have that much of a use for the huge screen except leaving things I want to get to eventually all over the place.

I forgot to take some pictures of the setup with my 1200s in place. But...I'm pretty sure I'm not using them. I did set them up as an experiment to see if I could still beatmatch without aides....which apparently I can. But, I just don't enjoy it the same way I used to. At this point, for me, turntables are 100% aesthetic unless I decide to start spinning vinyl again. But, that loses keylock...which IMHO is the killer feature of all of the digital systems. I thought about building the top of that table as a NY-style console (e.g., https://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/...6c10fe52_b.jpg), but to also fit the controllers I want would make it pretty big and a fairly complex build. Plus, it wouldn't look right without a 3rd turntable....which I also don't want to spend money on, since I would probably never use it.

That being said, I'm having trouble deciding to sell them. Looks like they'd go for around $400 each based on condition. But, if I sell them, I'll never own another one. I guess it's just a matter of whether I want to keep them "just in case" or let them go to someone who would actually cherish and use them. The later makes a lot more sense. And if it's just going to be aesthetic, there are other turntables that I think look better (especially compared to my beaten up mk2s).

Anyway, here's the fun part...

Putting the 2nd X1 on the right was an experiment that I don't like.

I have no planned upgrades at the moment.

At some point, I'm going to build a real wood tabletop for that frame and actually do a good job of sinking the mixer in it. Eventually, I want decent meters. But, I'm still just using the record in level meter in traktor. Standalone meters that are good seems insanely expensive. And the one I have is worthless...it actually doesn't have an audio signal running to it right now, and it probably won't.

I can't seem to find my X1mk2 mappings. So, everything is mapped 100% stock. I don't like the quirks of the F1 in step sequencer mode, so I'm just using it the same way I used to. I'm probably going to go back to the extremely limited EQ thing at some point (one X1 will get dedicated HP filters and xone high-mid EQs on it's knobs, the other will be delay and reverb). But, I can't really arse myself to do it. The xone-filter effect can do all of those things, it's just a matter of more buttons.

I have flirted with the idea of going for XDJs. But....to get where I am now, 3 XDJ-1000mk2s and a DJS-1000 cost around $4800....which would also buy a pair of KH120s, a KH 805, and a MBP. And when I was last shopping for monitors, those KH120s were the most impressive things I demo'd short of a huge 3-way midfield system.

I've also thought about a pair of D2s. But....the fact that they require power and force you to use layers bugs me. I'd like screens so I don't have to look at the computer as much, but...I don't think they fit as well as the X1s and F1. I've learned my lesson with layers and would have to think very hard about that. To do things the way that makes sense for me, I'd still have an X1 and an F1 on the other side....which seems a little ridiculous. And all it really adds is the screen. Maybe it's worth it, but for how I want to work, they're essentially single-deck controllers.

And I still have that DDJ-SX. It still works just fine, and I can still mix on it. But, the layers are stupid. If I can find the traktor mapping I used to use with it, it would make a convenient rig to drag around for house parties.
    F1, you say?

https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/652

Good enough for Rebekah, good enough for all of us.
    https://blog.native-instruments.com/...-hybrid-setup/
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    F1, you say?

https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/652

Good enough for Rebekah, good enough for all of us.
    https://blog.native-instruments.com/...-hybrid-setup/
    So....it gives control over a bunch of effects that I don't care about and makes it so I can't ue the ones I like....no thanks.

ETA:

I wanted to apologize for how this probably came off. I know your intentions were good. I just really don't like playing with effects all that much. I've gone entire sets without touching them, and loading that mapping would turn the F1 into a waste of space for me.

It's not about control or ease...I just don't like playing with music that way.
    Last edited by Moostapha; 12-09-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Setup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moostapha View Post
    So....it gives control over a bunch of effects that I don't care about and makes it so I can't ue the ones I like....no thanks.

ETA:

I wanted to apologize for how this probably came off. I know your intentions were good. I just really don't like playing with effects all that much. I've gone entire sets without touching them, and loading that mapping would turn the F1 into a waste of space for me.

It's not about control or ease...I just don't like playing with music that way.
    You can run this mapping alongside the normal one.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    You can run this mapping alongside the normal one.
    Yes. But...why would I add several TSIs that make Traktor take longer to load that I will literally never use?

I spent years mixing without effects of any kind. And almost every time I've tried them, I wonder why I bother.

Since that day when I figured out that running Traktor's channels really cold makes the reverb and delay sound like effects instead of noise machines, I tried again...and just didn't like anything except reverb, delay, and the basic filter. And I can do that with stuff I already have.

Setup Thread

Hunh...Apparently firefox found my password.

I swear I looked for it. In case anyone was worried (I'm sure you weren't), moostapha was actually me.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast