Need help with Transitioning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help with Transitioning

Alright so guys, I'm 15 (hasn't even been a week since I've turned 15) and for my birthday my parents got me a MixTrack Pro, which I've been using, I reckon ive got beatmatching down pretty good but then when I need to transition songs I absolutely suck at it!

So got any tips on transitioning, I'll drop a mediafire link to the mix i attempted to make if you could give some constructive criticism I'd appreciate it thanks it advance!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ans6gdt73vzs7zv

Stand out thing for me is that you're just cutting between tracks when you feel like it and there's no thought been put in to when might be a good time to do so. Read up on phrase matching, learn about song structure and how to count bars.

Also, half way through the last track it sounded like you turned up the gain which made it clip like crazy. Don't do that.
    Last edited by Vermilion; 12-13-2011 at 06:42 AM.

You've got to learn about phrasing, i.e. when to bring in the next track. You should start counting bars and dropping in the new tune on the 1 and so on.

Also, you've got beatmatching 'down' after a week? Somehow I doubt that...
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

iight thanks guys,

any idea on how long it took you to learn all of this? wanna be able to play at gigs in 3-4 months

According to your post, you "got beatmatching down pretty good" in less than a week.

That would mean that in 2-3 days you'll be ready.

lol,

I'll rephrase to getting the hang of beatmatching. But on average how long did it take you guys to be good enough to perform.

P.S I really want to be able to Dj at the School Disco next year as we have quite a few every year, and it would be great exposure if I decide to go mainstream

(hopefully you get what i mean)

btw guys, reckon if i mix harmonicly it would improve my transitions?

You're getting ahead of yourself. Worry about harmonic mixing when you can put together a solid set.

With regards to how long it takes, that's on you. The more you practice the better you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhabit View Post
    btw guys, reckon if i mix harmonicly it would improve my transitions?
    Yeah it would, but it's not the end of the world if two tracks aren't in key.

Check out ellaskins on youtube he's a great teacher and you'll learn quickly.

It depends on the person, but if you practice regularly you should be ready to play out in half a yearish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast