lights, lasers, scanners oh my
    Tech Wizard

Default lights, lasers, scanners oh my

So I have a gig coming up in a few months and its bigger than anything I have done in the past. There should be between 500-600 people there and im starting to wonder if my setup will cut it. Audio should be fine but I will most likely ask about that in another post. As for lights I only have a chauvet trident(LED centerpiece), a Chauvet LED Techno Strobe, a Chauvet Obey 10 dmx controller, and a T stand for these. For some reason I don’t think this will be enough. Ive been looking into lasers and scanners to add to my setup but would like some other opinions.

Ive looked into…
    Chauvet Min laser RGX- idk if this is too small and it has no dmx, but these are nice and cheap
    Chauvet Scorpion lasers- you have to spend $300 to get anything with dmx, and do I really need a dmx laser
    Chauvet Intimidator LED Scanners- look best when you have two or more

Any suggestions would be great

I don't have any specific light recommendations for you, but I will say that adding a fog machine will make whatever you have look 10x better.

Is this for a club or a mobile event?

I suggest a Chauvet Scorpion Storm, i have one running on an Obey 70 and it is one beast of a laser, it does everything i could have hoped and more. And right now a light im particularity fond of is the LEDShadow blacklight strobe and if you feel like shellin out bucks for it, the best light i ever purchased was a Chauvet LED Fascade. Good luck!

Tech Wizard

this is for a college end of year ball, and ive heard that fog/haze makes lighting look so much better but im worried about setting the smoke detectors off.

Otacon- which scorpion storm do you have, and how is the coverage for the LED Shadow

I have the Scorpion Storm FX and its sick, espcially with haze or fog. (i dont think fog or haze will set off a smoke detector, but im not 100%)
    And the Shadow has pretty good coverage, not too great. Pretty vibrant fluorescent accent and with DMX its amazing

Tech Mentor

You don't want a fog machine, you want a haze machine.

They are two totally different things to be used for different reasons.

To enhance lighting, a good haze machine is what is required.

I'd suggest renting a good one such as one by Le Maitre.

i personaly wouldnt shell out money for one event especailly if its for a university.. talk with the event planner and ask if they will rent the lights ect needed unless of course this was a requirement for you to provide your own lights.. also you would be surprised what kind of stuff universitys have stored away.. even better if there is an art department they will have everything you could ask for..
    Macbook Pro - Kontrol S2 - Kontrol X1 - Traktor Pro 2 - Fool’s Gold x AIAIAI TMA-1 (for gigs) AKG 271hd (for studio and recording) on the way: DJM 800 with 2 CDJ 2000s
    THE SET UP