Simple questing about keys - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by losxc451 View Post
    Isnt D# minor 12A and E# minor 2A? you could make a transition thats two steps and it still be good, obviously wouldnt be as good as one step according to the rules of harmonic mixing though
    actually, making 2 steps clockwise on the camelot wheel is 2 semitones, and can sound amazingly good, and give a great boost to the dancefloor.

you can also move 7 steps clockwise to go up one semitone (from 01A to 08A for example) and it will have a similar effect.

going down a semitone (7 anticlockwise) or 2 (2 anticlockwise) doesn't detract from the dancefloor, but doesn't give an energy boost either, it kinda takes the dancefloor 'deeper', more subdued, which can be really interesting after a few high energy tracks to get people into a groove.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by newg View Post
    actually, making 2 steps clockwise on the camelot wheel is 2 semitones, and can sound amazingly good, and give a great boost to the dancefloor.

you can also move 7 steps clockwise to go up one semitone (from 01A to 08A for example) and it will have a similar effect.

going down a semitone (7 anticlockwise) or 2 (2 anticlockwise) doesn't detract from the dancefloor, but doesn't give an energy boost either, it kinda takes the dancefloor 'deeper', more subdued, which can be really interesting after a few high energy tracks to get people into a groove.
    nice suggestion i didn't know you can go up all the way from 2 to 7 (or the exact oppposite). I guess it's all about trying out

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Spesh, cudos for trying to learn the actual theory!
    The circle of fifths is just one way of relating two keys though. To me the best way to learn is on a piano keyboard where you can see the the whole steps and half steps from note to note in the scales.
    The fifth is the fifth note of a scale and also the third note in the chord of the root note. Ex: C E G are the notes in a Cmajor chord, G B D for a G major. See the fifths progress C G D.
    I know absolutely nothing about music or music theory, other than the fact that I like listen to it...so I'm trying really hard to learn in my spare time. It's a lot to absorb, but it is interesting and I feel smarter at the end of the day. I have a long way to go though.

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by newg View Post

in my experience going up two semitones (i.e. 5a to 7a) sounds much better than going up one.

similarly i find going down one semitone generally sounds bad, but going down two (7a to 5a) has a really nice effect. it isn't really an energy boost, but it's like an interesting shift in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    This!

I use the circle of fifths over the camelot wheel because I'm trying to learn the physical keys and not just numbers. I use RE3 to key my songs and write everything as sharps as opposed to flats. I made my own circle of fifths with all sharps...this might be helpful for you:

are the outer ones majors????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12